Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Selling used CDs online: Comparing two websites

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Mar 26, 2005.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey I thought this might be helpful for anyone who wants to get rid of a bunch of your CDs. I have five or six hundred CDs and recently I just started going through them and found tons that I don't listen to anymore, never did listen to much or have no idea how they got into my collection. So I decided to sell them all together online. I used to take the time to list any CD I wanted to sell individually on Ebay and that would probably make more money in many cases (although not all cases!) but I just don't want to take the time to do that anymore. So I used two different online used CD places and here is what I've found.

www.spun.com

Spun sells new and used stuff. I tended to find some more obscure type stuff here than at Second Spin. So, spun can be good for getting things that second spin just doesn't have. Also, if you sell more than 30 dollars worth of stuff and then also buy something they send you the box to pack your stuff in and pay for the return shipping as well. That's very convenient as all you have to do is box it, put the included sticker on and drop it at the post office. However, I noticed that spun doesn't seem to offer quite as much for a lot of the CDs. Also, if you decide you want cash instead of trade then you only get HALF of the offer in cash. That was kind of cool for me though as I was able to get The Incredibles, Hero, Napoleon Dyno and Mystery Men on DVD as well as several CDs, a couple of which were very obscure selections. To get the full offer value you must trade-in your CDs though so spun is NOT worth it if you want straight cash. Use second spin for that. Spun accepts cut-outs and music club CDs.

www.secondspin.com

I took a lot of the CDs that spun didn't want or only offered a dollar or two for and went here. Second spin ended up offering much more for some of them and also wanting many that Spun didn't want. For instance, I have this Ginger Baker Trio CD that I originally paid a dollar for used. Spun didn't want it but Second Spin offered 4 bucks for it. Second Spin also gives you full offered value in either cash or trade, whichever you want. Second Spin appears to be a true used store in that they don't have new products. I forgot to mention that both stores buy and sell DVDs as well and Spun sells and buys video games too. Second Spin appears to give more buck for your bang than spun and also more than my local used CD store. However, the drawback with Second Spin is that no matter how much you sell you have to pay shipping yourself. So, you really need to sell a lot to make it worth it IMO. I've found that FedEx ground can be cheaper than the us post office for many items so that's how I'm going to send the CDs I sold a couple of days ago to Second Spin. I also sold them a couple of DVDs. They paid 6 bucks for the old Slaughterhouse Five DVD that I have and I think only paid like 8 bucks or less for brand new. Not bad compared to many places. Second Spin does accept music club CDs and they say that cut-out CDs are accepted on an "as needed basis."

Anyway...hope this is helpful for some of you. I'd originally forgotten about secondspin when I went to spun. If I'd remembered it I think I would have just gone back and forth between the two seeing who would give me the most for what. If you have a lot of CDs to sell then this is probably the thing to do. Or, if you don't want to mess with getting a box and shipping the CDs yourself then you should go with spun if you can get 30 bucks or more for your CDs. Both have an easy method of looking up the CDs you want to sell. The only thing is spun lists the UPC codes on each CD so if there are two different versions/releases of the CD it's easy to tell which one you have. Second Spin just lists two versions with no UPC code so it might be hard to figure out which you have sometimes.

brad cook

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Brad, thanks for the info, now do know anyone who will buy used cassetes! I have hundreds!!!!!

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I donated mine to Oscar the Grouch.

brad cook

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Cassettes...those are those little eight-tracks, right? ;)

I've sold some by myself on Half.com before-you can get more money, but the only thing is that you are competing with other sellers there.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Brad...you should have made a list of all of them and let us browse through the list to see if we wanted any.

:crying:

-Mike

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I should have but I'm lazy and I just really haven't felt like doing anything like that. There probably were a few that people here would want. If that's the case then you can find them at Spun and Second Spin! :spit:

brad cook