Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Selling your baby, anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by masterhiggins, Apr 26, 2005.

1. masterhiggins

masterhiggins

Apr 22, 2005
    I've recently purchased a new 5-string bass and no longer have use for my MIM Fender 5-string. It's only logical for me to sell it because I'm not a pro bass player and altogether with the Fender I now have 3 basses. I don't really see a need for having 2 5-strings lying around. However, I've had it for so long that I kind of feel guilty about selling it for some reason. It's just that I've had it for like 8 years now and we've been through a lot with eachother. I suppose it's a part of me kind of now, even though I don't play it much anymore AT ALL.

Have any of you sold any long-standing gear of yours? And if you did, were there any hard feelings about it? Any regrets? Fess up.

-Sam

2. I can honestly say that I have never sold a bass or guitar in my life. Everyone I bought, I still own with the exception of a pawnshop mishap and I gave a guitar to someone who needed it. Both lost instruments were worth about $500. I personaly like to keep what I buy. One day I will have a nice little studio with lots of options!

3. I've sold a few items that had a bit of 'sentimental value', but after awhile any regrets fade. I've always upgraded.
    On the other hand, I have a MIA Fender Jazz 5 that my wife forbids me to ever dump. That's fine; I would regret it. It's one of those rare Fender 5s w/a good B string, & it was only $425.

4. I would say only sell if you need the money

5. masterhiggins

masterhiggins

Apr 22, 2005

That's the thing. This one has a crappy B string. :( The fact that it's a passive doesn't make it any better, either. Also, I need the money. Hopefully, I'll get something for it on ebay.

The new bass that I bought was a Schecter Stiletto Studio 5. It sounds incredible. I am thoroughly impressed. Also, it is DEAD gorgeous.

-Sam

6. Recently I let my Roscoe go. It just wasn't getting played and I thought it should be. Part of it was financial too. It was hard to do but it was the right thing. But I now have a beautiful Carvin LB-75A that has one of those incredible 3D quilted maple topss that I received in a partial trade.

7. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    No, but i've been thinking about selling my Yamaha Attitude. Thing is, everytime i start to think about it, I start feeling really guilty and chicken out......

8. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    If you love it KEEP IT. I have sold numerous basses I wish I could get back. I actually check eBay everyday for one that I sold years ago, hopefully it will show up one day.

9. masterhiggins

masterhiggins

Apr 22, 2005
    wow. I've had my eye on that one myself. How does it play? Does it have a lot of tone variation? It's unfortunate that you can't play them before you buy them or else hook up for sure. I've had my Redeye Combo Amp and I've been pretty happy with it. I was looking at the reviews @ harmony central and I'm surprised that so many people were having issues with it. I haven't had a single issue and I use it almost every single day.

-Sam

10. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I think that if you can leave a bass sitting in a case for months untouched.....you can probably safely ditch it. There will of course be regrets but eventually you will get something else, which in itself doesn't always replace what you sold but rather helps ease the regret......

11. masterhiggins

masterhiggins

Apr 22, 2005

I'm sorry to hear that. Out of curiousity, what kind of bass was it? And why does it hold so much sentimental value? I'm just asking to get some contrast. This particular bass of mine has been in my posession for 8 years and has seen its fair share of gigs (both good and embarrassing).

-Sam

12. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    It was a Black US B.C. Rich ST3. I was a B.C. Rich endorsee in the late 80's early 90's and this bass was built for me and it was the only one of it's kind. I would go to the factory everyday while it was being built to try out different necks until I found the right one. BERNIE was one of the nicest people I have ever met. I had to sell it one day to pay for a new engine for my car. I had it for about 6 years. One day it will be mine again.

13. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Every now and then, I toy with selling my '69 Sunburst P-Bass that I got in about 1985. It was my first "real" bass and my first Fender. I've always decide against it. Others I might miss or wish I still had -- this one I would deeply regret selling if I ever did.

I've sold a few that I wish I still had, but as far as long-standing pieces, the Fender is it. It's in great shape with about 85-90% finish remaining, OEM case in good shape, no serious dings, and ashtrays intact. Still plays good, and sounds good. One of these days, it'll be a classic.

Probably pass it on to my son when he gets old enough (even though he wants my trans red MM5).

Only three -four basses that I've sold do I really wish I still had. A '71 Jazz I got for $250; a Pedulla ET-5 with a crazy Zebra top; and a pre-Gib Tobias Basic. There's also a "magic" MIA Jazz that almost made me switch back to four strings after nealy 15 years.

KEEP THOSE BASSES! Someday you'll wish you had.

dcr

14. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    This past Christmas I sold a Lakland bass to get my wife the camera that she was wanting. It wasn't the most expensive bass I owned at the time, but I REALLY love it.

Although, my birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and my wife was asking if there was a bass that I might want! :hyper:

15. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Tell her to ditch the camera and buy that bass back!!! LOL

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with keeping a bass for sentimental reasons.

Nothing wrong with keeping a bass just because you feel like it!

Consider it a backup to your backup. :)

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hmn. Sounds kinky.

Pics?

I've not really sold anything I've had a long standing relationship with. Bass wise, aside from my first, I think the record is a year +/-. I've only held on to a handful of peices of gear longer than a year, (Eden 410xlt, WT-300, Carvin DCM1000, and my first bass), and the rest, well, I've dug them all, and even figured on keeping my G&L SB-1 until the end, but it ended up turning out a major perspective change re: music and musicianship led to it's sale.

I've regretted selling some stuff, but only from a utility standpoint. "Shoot, I just sold a 4 banger, and it would actually do a lot better in this band than a 5 string," kind of thing. Never had any hard feelings or real ass-kickings about selling stuff.

Stupidest thing I've sold? Probably my G&L L-2000 and not holding on to at least one of my 410xlts. Other than that, nothing really, and those are just because they were solid, solid pieces.

So far, only my Carvin DCM-1000 and Ibanez GSR200 have weathered my GAS and changing tastes, passing fancies, and general inability to hold on to gear. And the GSR only because after hacking at it with some EMG35s, a Schaller bridge, stringing it BEAD, and general abuse, the parts in it (I'm still planning on making a pickgaurd if I can get a design I'm happy with) are worth more than it is. It's not that I think I'm doing better, I just have GES. Gear Experience Syndrome. I have to try them all. Every last stinking one of them.

18. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I sold a Music Man Sabre that I had from 1979 until about 2001. I still occasionally regret that sale.

In the past couple years I bought and sold a sunburst Fender Marcus Miller w/ U-Retro preamp. Got it from Woodchuck. Sold it about 7 months later. The same time that I sold a sunburst 55-02 fretless. I miss having both those basses, but I sold them to fund a Hanewinckel fretless that sorta fell into my lap.

I have five of the sweetest basses I could hope for and don't need another, but.........

Peace,

James

19. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    When your a teenager/student with little money, I say sell. If I had tried to hang on to all my basses, I would just have a bunch of mediocre basses layin around. But instead I sell them and add a couple hundred bucks to get something a little better. After 5 basses I'm up to a Fender Am. Dlx. Jazz V. (and there's something in the classifieds section that may be mine very soon :ninja: )

20. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    My midnight blue Ric 4003 that is now being shown in Juan Ortiz's collection and listed here on TB. I bought it new back in 1984 or 85 and played it right up until recently. That bass was me in a nutshell. I had not played it in a while and I don't really have much use for the Ric tone anymore. I almost cry when I think of it being sold, but there are basses that are more utilitarian for me now. Like the tasty sonic blue Sadowsky that Juan currently has, or one of his Ritters. I counter my guilt at selling an old friend by rationalizing that it is better off being used rather than stored.