Selling your basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Yes, always

8 vote(s)
  2. Yes, but only if I need the money to get the new one

51 vote(s)
  3. No, I always keep them all

19 vote(s)
  4. Depends on the carrot rate at the NYSE

8 vote(s)
  1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I owned many basses since I began playing back in 1976. Many times I had to sell some of them to get new ones.

There are definitely 2 basses I wish I never had sold, and if I had to do it again, I'd keep them and save money, and wait until I get the new one.

The two basses I miss are both Music Man basses :
    - my early 80's black StingRay w/maple board
    - my honey burst StingRay 5 w/rosewood board

What do you generally do when you get a new bass ? Do you sell the previous one ? Do you keep them all ? Or... ?
  2. I voted yes, but only if I need the money for a new one. It is more a factor of whether the new bass is replacing the old one. If it is, the only one is going to be sold, probably whether I need the money or not. Lately I have been finding basses that are a good contrast to the ones I already have (F Bass added to my Dingwall and soon I will get a fretless), so I haven't been wanting to sell those basses.

3. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    this just happens to be at a time im selling one of my basses. ive just bought a better bass that i had before (Warwick), and also im not really a collector nor i have the money to be one, and im also trying to get a better-bigger rig, so i NEED to sell it more than i WANT to sell it.
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    No, and i dont think I ever will. I just save up, work and wait - but I dont yet have so many basses to have to consider this. It has worked for my Warwick and the Ibanez will be defretted and EMG-d sometime this winter. If sometime in the future i will have a bass that is very bad and i dont like it, only then will i sell it; otherwise i feel emotionally attached to any bass that I have
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Only if i need the money.
  6. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    My vote is "YES". I can't afford to keep every bass that I buy, so I sell them. I've been very fortunate so far as I'm close to even on all my trades. I just ordered a new Ken $mith, and I sold my Smith-5 to help pay for it.

I might sell/trade another...;)

7. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Yeah, only if I need the money for a new one... Well, actually, no, it really depends... If I was JT... And had like 20 $4000 (+/-) basses, and I really needed money for my house or car or something, I wouldn't mind if I kinda had to sell...
  8. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Second option. I'll be getting a Hamer Velocity 5 soon. I'll try my best not to sell that one.
  9. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm living this situation now. I just bought a Hanewinckel fretless, so my Lakland Skyline fretless is now expendable. Nothing wrong with it. I really like the bass a lot. It will simply be redundant once the Hanewinckel arrives, so I may as well get my money out of it.

I have the Lakland and a Fender up for sale. If they sell, great. If they don't sell great.

10. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Well, I have sold all 3 three of my previous basses, but only because each bass replaced teh previous one, or I ended up not really needing it. I am 99.9% I will never sell the Czech Spector I have now. I sell a bass if I am buying a replacement for it.

I love your sig foxinabox! Get Fuzzy is my favorite comic strip!
  11. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Thanks! I read Get Fuzzy on a daily basis. Satchel never fails to make me laugh :D
  12. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I hang onto them unless I can no longer justify or afford to keep them. Right now my Stingray's been on the stand for a while, I'm not playing out that much since my band split, so just my P-bass is getting played. My SR400 hasn't been out of its case in a month or two, but I can't stand to part with that baby, maybe if I really need the cash.

Nov 10, 2002
    Las Vegas
    I used to sell them but every time I did, I'd need that sound for a paricular gig and I wouldn't have the bass. Plus, the price on the 'vintage' market would skyrocket and it wouldn't make sense to buy that year and model back. Anyway, you can always find some way to afford the new one. So, now I keep them all.
  14. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Good point, same decision than the one I made.
    If I want a new bass, I'll save money as long as needed, but I'll keep the ones I have.
  15. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I only keep the ones that are something special - more than the sum of their parts. I've played Foderas which sound like a slab of wood - and i've played squires that are magical!
    here's some pics of my old basses...
  16. Fender 51' reissue MIJ P
    Fender 51'Sting issue
    Rickenbacker 61 model 4000
    Hofner 61 Beatle bass
    Fender 63 MIA cream Tele
    Fender 67 MIA Jazz
    Fender 67 MIA P
    Fender 73 Maple P
    Fender 82 MIA P Fretless
    Fender 88 MIJ Jazz special
    Fender 92 MIA 5'er
    Squier 92 5'er
    54' Kay Upright
    Guild acoustic-B52

I just buy them and keep them.

;) Treena
  17. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I hate selling stuff, so I hope I can keep them all but if some are useless I'll probably sell them for a new one.

I have a btb 405 qm that I play few so I'll probably sell it to buy another good 5's.

18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'll take door number two, Monty!!
  19. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

I chose option #2. With that said, I just bought a used Thumb BO 4-string last week and while I know it's still a "new love", I will never ever sell her!!

My biggest regret is selling my 92' Les Paul Bass w/ Ebony finish and bartolini's. She was a beauty. :(
  20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    My biggest regrets:

My MusicMan Sabre
    My Ken Bebensee 6
    My Tokai Lawsuit Jazz bass.

The collection's stabilized now, though, So there'll be no more major sales.