1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Selmer MKIII Treble and Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Simon Martin, May 12, 2011.

1. Simon Martin

Simon Martin

Mar 31, 2009
    Hello all,
    Im currently in the process of down sizing my rig and came across Selmer amp heads. As far as I know these are guitar heads but i wanted to ask maybe a silly question.
    Would I be able to use it as a bass head through a bass cab? How would it sound? Would I break it?
    Best wishes,
    Simon Martin

2. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    With a pair of a EL 34s, you can expect performance similar to a 50W Marshall or Ampeg B25. It would work fine for bass through an efficient cab and probably sound very nice.

I've been wanting to get my paws on a selmer amp for quite a while. :cool:

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    It won't get very loud, but it will work and sound quite nice if you ask me.

4. The TB50 IS a bass amp!

5. Simon Martin

Simon Martin

Mar 31, 2009
    Brilliant! now im excited. Im paying 310 for it with new valves, is that a good price?
    Also i was thinking of getting a Ampeg SVT210AV for the cab but I am open to your wise suggestions as to what I should be looking for?

Best wishes,
    Simon Martin

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    not a bad choice. i like mine quite well. light, takes a goodly amount of power, requires a bit of a bass boost to get the low end cooking but once you do that, it sounds amazingly like a small 810e and mics up excellently.

7. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    You'll get the most sound out of it with one or two 15"s.

;)

8. I think that price is a steal. They are HIGHLY collectable. I have only seen one twice in the last 5 yrs on CL and both times they were $800-1000. They are revered as guitar amps.
    At that price I would FLY over to pick it up.

peace Kirk

9. Simon Martin

Simon Martin

Mar 31, 2009
    Thanks for all your replies been a massive help!
    Im picking it up next monday, cannot wait!
    Just found a fender bassman cab that i think might compliment it very well.
    Thanks again all.
    Best wishes,
    Simon Martin

10. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Let us know how it all works out, Simon. :bassist:

11. Simon, the Fender Bassman 2x12 cabinet will not complement anything. It's about the worst cabinet I ever had the misfortune to own. I had the whole Blonde Blackface rig. It looked great but sounded terrible. It was new BTW. I returned it after a weekend.

12. Simon Martin

Simon Martin

Mar 31, 2009
    Cheers Paul, after my excitment I typed Fender Bassman in and found a list of NOs for it so ive steered clear of it now. Trying to find something in the £100 pound range thats worth paying for.
    Regards,
    Simon Martin

P.S. will do bob

13. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I had one of these 35 years ago! Well, it was actually my step-brother's, but I took my first bass baby steps playing his Fender P through it. Sounded great to me at the time and I'm guessing it still would. Why not?

14. That's something I can't help you with. I lost touch with what's available over there when I left in '73. I just remember the huge price differentials on one of my visits back.

15. Simon Martin

Simon Martin

Mar 31, 2009
    Hello all,
    Another question im afraid, and one that i think might be hard to answer.
    Ive found out some info about converting a combo into a cab?
    I have a Trace Elliot Commando tahts asking to be converted but im worried about its power handling capabilities.
    Will it blow up? and is it safe in the first place for me to be playing about with combos?
    Best wishes,
    Simon Martin