1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Selmer Treble Bass 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rutabowa, Mar 26, 2009.

1. rutabowa

rutabowa

Mar 20, 2009
    Hello,
    I just got one of these heads for the band but no cabinet, I wonder what would be a good one to match with it for for bass? for a kind of rock and roll/garage sound.

2. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Something quite efficient would be good, I used to use an old one with a Selmer Goliath 1 X 18 back in the late sixties.
    But then after that I used an old Marshall 4 X 12 bass cab with it when it was relegated to a spare by a Marshall JMP 100 purchase.
    I lent it to my guitarist because it sounded well good caned hard on guitar, don't think I ever got it back come to think of it:
    [​IMG]
    You can see the far left guitarist has it, I am still using the Goliath under the 4 X 12 marshall in the pic. The goliath gave good trouser flapping bass down there.
    At that time I liked the flagship Selmer amp a lot:
    [​IMG]
    Nice if you could find an old RCF loaded Selmer 4 X 12 bass cab.
    :ninja:

3. rutabowa

rutabowa

Mar 20, 2009
    that's a good picture, that is how i would like our setup to be!
    I have recorded with one of those Goliath speakers, not turned up very loud, it sounded nice. I was thinking of something a bit more portable and punchy for live though, maybe a 2x10 or 2x12.

4. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    In certain circles, they are in demand, particularly if you have the desirable covering on it. I'd sell it to someone in the guitar universe or use it for guitar.

5. rutabowa

rutabowa

Mar 20, 2009
    no I think I would like to use it for bass, it sounded good in the studio.

6. jazzboi

jazzboi

Jan 10, 2008
    Hungary
    When our band made our first recording in a studio,I was playing through one of these heads which was a little hod rodded. (new Electro Harmonix tubes,and an added XLR output) The head was connected to a vintage Fender 2x15" cab as far as I remember. The guy told me it was an 8 Ohm cab loaded with Eminence speakers.
    Anyway if I've got one of these heads,I would take a look at some vintage cabs,and the newer 1x15" ones that has no tweeter.

7. It's a 50W bass amp. Pair of EL34s in fixed bias plus IIRC three ECC83. Two channels each with Volume, Treble and Bass. In its day it was a damn fine bass amp. Today of course, not so much. Like all vintage stuff of that era it'll need some work. Caps and maybe a few resistors.

Paul

8. rutabowa

rutabowa

Mar 20, 2009
    I am hoping to get everyone's ears used to a quieter volume for our night, in a smallish room with a PA for vocals only and all other instruments at 1960s power. For other gigs, everything gets miced up or DIed anyway so it should be no problem.

9. Monotremata

Monotremata

Oct 28, 2008
    Ventura, CA
    That right there is the same amp Syd Barrett used to use with Pink Floyd..

Gilmour started with em too to try and keep the same tone but moved over to Hiwatts later..

10. To each his/her own. In those days trying to get a decent bass sound was a constant battle. Most often all you got was a tone with lots of distortion. Listen to Jack's sound on the Cream albums. If you wanted to get loud that's what you sounded like. I didn't find speakers that I really liked until 1997.

Paul

11. rutabowa

rutabowa

Mar 20, 2009
    i don't want to go too loud though! and a bit of overdrive would be fine.
    I've found a little trace elliot cab going for cheap that i think might work out, it's 2x10 and 1x8 (I think).