Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Semi-acoustic bass? Godin A fretless 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yukonmatt, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Anyone ever played a Godin 'A' semi-acoustic fretless 5 string bass? I want what kind of tone and sound they have. I live in a place where I'd have to order without hearing!

2. I have an A4 fretless. It is an outstanding instrument - the materials and workmanship are really beautiful - especially the neck. The tone is also very nice - it is very warm and woody with a nice punch to the sound. It has a sound quite similar to an amplified double bass.

I've never played an A5 so I can't comment on the B string.

In any case, I can't say enough good things about Godin instruments. I find them to have some of the best workmanship going and I can't believe the low price of their instruments relatively speaking. I have their top of the line acoustic guitar (Seagull) and it sounds as good as any Martin I've heard at 3 times the price.

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Welcome to talkbass Yukonmatt. The godin A4 is a great bass, never heard of the A5 before though. I great sounding fretlees, for cheap. On the used market here in montreal, you can find a A4 for about 600$CAN about 400$ US.

4. SantosL.Halper

SantosL.Halper

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey Rob W. I'm pretty sure the A5 fretless is my next bass. I played an A4 and loved it.

My question is what strings do you use? The one I tried had flats, which were great, but I think I may want the sound of rounds. Thanks, SLH

5. I use d'Addario Chromes (flats) which are what the bass comes with. I feel they work really well and help to capture that 'acoustic' tone.

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Does the A4 fretless sound more like an acoustic bass guitar or can you get something approaching an upright sound with them?
    -Dan

7. Well, it sounds quite a bit like an upright (amplified, pizzicato) - more than any other acoustic bass guitar I've ever heard. Of course, the fretless version is the way to go if that's the sound you're looking for.

I can't stress just how nicely these basses are made. It's really nice work.

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Excellent the guitarist in my band is always saying some song or another should have an upright sound. Thanks Rob!
    -Dan

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The Godin 5 is a very nice bass. The B sounded nice and the playability was excellent. Warm, open sound.