Semi Acoustic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomthedude, Dec 15, 2004.

Semi Acoustic or Fender Standard Jazz?

Poll closed Dec 22, 2004.
  1. Semi Acoustic

11 vote(s)
  2. Fender Standard Jazz

57 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    I got a new amp, an Ashdown Electric Blue 180watts, now I need to find a bass. At the moment I need a bargain. I'm not sure wether to go for a standard jazz or a semi acoustic bass. Most semis are expensive.

Has anyone got/played this ibanez or anyone know if johnson guitars are good? There is a few cheap ones on ebay, but do the cheap semis have the good tone you look for in a semi acoustic bass?

Attached Files:

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    These 2 choices will produce totally different sounds. I use a standard Jazz Bass in an acoustic duet. It seems to work well. Those other 2 basses will sound much different b/c of the bodies and pick-ups. I've heard good things about the Art Cores, but never played one.
  3. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Tom who makes that black hollowbody bass? It looks like a Dean bass
  4. Boy. How do you answer a question like that? What type of music do you play? What is the instrumentation of your group(s)? What kind of role do you play in these ensembles?

A fender standard jazz bass is a conventional bass that can be used in a myriad of applications.

Semi-acoustics, although definitely suited for a lot of purposes, are generally more limited in application.

With that said...I play a Carvin AC40 in a lot of different applications and LOVE it, but she won't fill a rock and roll job very well.
  5. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    that ibanez looks hot, but basically what they said. ^
  6. tomthedude

Jun 8, 2004
    Its made by Johnson.

Thanks for calling me boy, and thanks for the comments.

Lol thats what they always say on this website. Well I play all kinds of music, that help?

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA

I would go with the Jazz bass, since you play all kinds of music. I consider it a "Swiss Army Knife" bass.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The Epiphone Jack Casady is a great semi hollow bass worth checking out.
  9. oyvind2305

Dec 3, 2004
    Its a fun bass to play...Would never have bought it as my primary bass only as supplement. It is well built, with ok sound for playing rock. Worth the low price IMO.

If you cant have both, choose the Jazz.

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I really like the piezo pickup semi-acoustic basses. The Godin A4 can be found used in the US for around $400. I'm not sure if this is in your budget or not, but it is an excellent instrument.

However, you will find that the Fender jazz will offer you more variety of tone. So, it all depends on what sound you are looking for.
  11. If you can get a Godin A4 or A5, go for it. Otherwise, get yourself a Jazz bass.
  12. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    As said previous, semi-acoustics are somewhat limited in application, and a jazz bass would be more suited to tonal variety. The hollow-bodies I've played, such as the Epiphones and Deans, only had a pinch tonal variation. They are better suited to a secondary bass, until you really want that tone for what you play.

That said, Johnson is lousy company. They are bargain seller that makes everything from guitars to harmonicas, and none of them well. Reviews I've seen on them talked about neck problem, sharp frets, lousy pickups, etc. For a quality, affordable Jazz, I'd check out SX on I had one for awhile, but sold it to a very poor friend for some pocket change cause he really liked it. I didn't want to keep a 4-banger around anyway, haha.
  13. I would go for the standard Jazz. I have used a Jazz bass and liked it a lot. Though I have decided to get rid of it because I don't need four basses a once. Three is more than enough for me. Anyway, it is useful for a variety of applications and is more versatile.

Personally, I have also found that a P-bass is also nice. For my taste the P has a fatter, low end and works great for a variety of applications. It doesn't have the same growl as the Jazz, but has a tone that can be very wonderful. You have to get use to the thick neck, but that being said it is also versatile in my opinion and works well for rock and also I use it for folk and country.

But since that is not in your equation go for the Jazz.

That being said, I have a semi-hollow ASAT bass, which is now my favorite bass. But it is a lot more expensive than the ones listed.