Semi Acoustic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tommo, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Can anyone tell me what a good semi-acoustic bass to buy is? Im desperate for one but don't know what to get!
  2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    What's your price range?

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

dont be fooled because it is mad in Korea this thing will out play any guild star fire has a very upright sound to it. Great value
  4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    As always it's only my personal opinion, but while the "top 'o the line" are Rob Allen's basses, the "best bang for the buck" is the Godin A series. I've found you can get a surprisingly decent volume unplugged, and the amplified sound is wonderful considering the street price is less than 1/2 of the RA's.
  5. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    And I've seen the 4's going used in the $400 range
  6. how'bout the semi-hollow Dean Raphsody(sp.?)they're not too expensive,and from what I've heard(from other people) they sound pretty good.
  7. My price range is about £200
  8. Can i get this in England?
  9. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I'm very partial to late 60's Guild Starfires. I think they have all the low end of a Gibson EB 2 or an Epiphone Rivoli, but a bit more flexibility. I find them to be extremely well made instruments- especially the ones made in Hoboken. If you can find one used, a Dearmond copy (They made a bunch fo them a few years ago) is a good option and would probably fit in your budget. I would say that if you're looking for a hollowbody bass, make sure that you're going for that particular sound. There's going to be a lot of woof in the low end that I find to be very appealing, but it's about as far as you can get from what a lot of people consider to be a modern tone. However, I find that isolating the frequency range that I'm working in allows me to really stake my own sonic turf. Soundmen love it because I'm not competing with the guitarists' midrange. I use flatwund strings and I find that they work really well with hollowbody basses- particularly for recording.

If you're going for a traditional hollowbody sound, I think the Dean basses aren't going to be what you're looking for. The Jack Cassidy bass is indeed cool, but to my ears it's a very specialized sound with a unique pickup situation that doesn't really appeal to me.
  10. Thanx a lot corinpills! Ill look into them.
  11. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I've heard good things about the Carvins. Never played em myself though.