1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Semi-Gloss finish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by kaoskater08, Mar 15, 2013.

1. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Apr 1, 2011
    I'm new to building and doing a lot of research as I go along with my first instrument (this forum has been a GREAT source of information), but I'm looking at putting a semi-gloss lacquer finish on.

Do I let the finish settle after spraying like you would with a satin finish, or do you buff it like a high gloss finish? Or is there a different procedure/material to buff a lacquer like this?

2. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    If i were you, I would spray the gloss clear coats, and let it cure for thirty days. Wet sand level going from 600 to 1200 grit. If the sheen is not to your liking, then rub it down with 0000 steel wool, using paste furniture wax as a lubricant. Once the sheen is accomplished, then use a wipe of naptha to remove the wax residue.

3. poly or nitro??? I have seen nitro , poly and pil finishes that are low and mid gloss, so no matter how much you buff polish on it, it wont shine much and still be smooth to touch

4. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Minneapolis & St.Paul, MN
    Owner of Barcus Basses barcusbasses.com
    I only use Nitro for a high gloss, all other sheen combinations get Poly. If you choose to go with poly, you'll have to decide oil or water based. Water based, will keep the wood color a lot lighter than oil based poly. Oil based poly will also add a touch of amber to your wood color. If you find the right water based poly (jury is still out for me), you can find a happy medium.
    Hands down, I'd rather spray water based poly. No nasty fumes and everything cleans up so easy.

5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    +1 Agree completely. I usually use Howard Feed & Wax to lubricate Liberon brand 0000 steel wool; when I've used paste wax, I found it difficult to see the condition of the wood until I'd removed the wax. With Feed & Wax, a quick wipe with a soft cloth enables me to see the scratch pattern more easily than paste wax.

Two critical issues cannot be overlooked:

You've gotta assure you have enough film thickness to withstand the process of "rubbing out;"

You've gotta allow the finish to cure thoroughly before you rub it out, lest you cut through the finish.

6. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Apr 1, 2011
    This was what I have planned on ordering at the moment:

http://www.mohawk-finishing.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=727

7. heynorm

heynorm

Oct 21, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    Just let your hands do the polishing.

8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I'm not a huge fan of pre-cat lacquers. They are designed to be sprayed as a system. One coat sealer, two top coats and thats it. If you get them to think they will get hairline cracks in them.

Nitro lacquer is much better for instrument finishing.

9. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Apr 1, 2011
    Do you have any suggestions on any semi-gloss nitro lacquer I could research/purchase?

10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I use high gloss for everything. Like was said before, after you do your wet sanding you polish your finish to the desired sheen

11. gbarcus

gbarcus Commercial User

Jul 20, 2008
    Minneapolis & St.Paul, MN
    Owner of Barcus Basses barcusbasses.com
  12. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Lots of great info in this thread! Worth making a sticky.

Lonnybass

13. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    too many coats of semi-gloss clear can get a milky appearance so i suggest starting the clear process with high gloss and then top off with semi-gloss after you get coverage

14. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    Great stuff here!

15. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Apr 1, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up! When I buff it will the high gloss come through?

Overall I'm looking for something between satin and high gloss....something with some sheen but not a mirror. I'm open to any other suggestions to what might get this kind of result but saw semi-gloss lacquer and wanted to see about pursuing this option.

16. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    the only way the high gloss would show through is if you burn through the semi-gloss by sanding or too much polishing. high gloss clear wet sanded with 2000 - 3000 grit paper would let you polish it to what ever level you are looking for.
    some furniture guys final polish with brown paper grocery bags. you may want to do some research in that area to learn a few tricks on how to control gloss.

17. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    + 1 on Grizzly as a source. They also sell McFadden lacquer, which is great. And pricing is good overall.