1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Semi-gloss lacquer: Do you rub anything onto it?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RBrownBass, Mar 18, 2008.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I'm finishing a cheap guitar body I bought several years ago, and I'm using Deft (available at Wal-Mart) semi-gloss lacquer. The sanding sealer is a few coats of Zinsser Bullseye Shellac. So far, so good. But I'm nearing the end of the spraying stage, and I want to know if there's anything I should wipe on/off the body once it's cured. I know people use Meguiar's waxes to cut and polish, but this finish is semi-gloss- I don't want to polish it, just protect it, if that's necessary. Is there any need to use something to protect the finish (the way I assume a good wax does), or is it fine to go from the moment it's cured? Thanks in advance!

2. I've used deft for minor touchups on trimwork before. This type of product (lacquer in a can) is intended for the amateur woodworker that doesn't want to have to do any buffing or wetsanding. If you have good build and you're satisfied with the quality of your finish(no orange peel, runs, etc.) then you could just leave it to cure and be done with it. On the other hand, if you want a really smooth and perfect finish, buff it then wetsand it back to semi

3. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Yup, that's the stuff, and "Amateur woodworker" describes me to a tee. The finish is still being built up (the shellac wasn't as great a sanding sealer as advertised, even on maple), but no, no runs and no orange peel.

Thanks so much for responding to my question, but what I'm trying to find out is whether there are any "protection" reasons for applying wax/polish/whatever. If the wax actually serves to make the finish more durable, and if leaving out that step will endanger the body to damage that waxing it might protect it from, I'm willing to shoot the last few coats in gloss (Deft has gloss as well) and wax it. Otherwise, I'll just stick with the semi.

4. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I've used Deft lacquer on a few instruments. It's a nitrocellulose lacquer, and though it's not formulated for instruments, neither was most of what Fender put on their guitars in the '50's and '60's (they used Nitro formulated for automotive finishes).

If you want the semi-gloss look, I would probably wet sand (use paper designed for wet sanding, the water should have a couple of drops of dishsoap in it and you should soak the paper overnight) starting with 400 grit, and continuing up through through at least 600 or 800 grit, possibly as high as 1500 or 2000 grit. This will ensure that the surface is flat and uniform, but won't polish it out to a gloss finish.

You don't need to add wax or anything to protect the finish...

5. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Thanks!