1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Semi hollow bass question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dan Newsom, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Dan Newsom

Dan Newsom

Nov 12, 2018
    Are semi hollow basses good for rock and metal? Do they blend well? I’ve always loved them but I haven’t been sure how’d they sound in the bands I’m in, but there is one at my local pawn shop and I’m thinking of just taking the jump and buying it

2. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    They sound great, particularly the flatwound sound for classic rock, McCartney, Phil Lesh etc. sort of sounds.
    They seem very rare in Metal, so that is a plus.
    At high stage volume, feedback could be a concern (or a effect to exploit)

The hollowbody bass I play blends best however (again this is with flatwounds, Chromes) with acoustic ensemble. Sounds better than any electric bass in that arrangement.

3. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    Not all hollow body basses are the same, really need more information about the bass in question for anyone to give a good response.

TheBear and jd56hawk like this.
  4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    The OP said semi hollow, not hollow.

To the OP, a semi hollow will work in any style music. Feedback [from high volume, not band mates] is non existent compared to hollow. A semi hollow will have a center block which leaves the f holes more/ less cosmetic. If you like how it sounds and plays, go for it.

JeffJ2112 and TheBear like this.
  5. I have a Hofner Club with flats but it is full hollow body, not semi. It sounds great in my acoustic trio but I would not use it for metal.

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, depends on exactly what it is - OP, let's hear more details, please!

jd56hawk likes this.
  7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Many semi hollows have a center block, so you should have no problem with feedback if your playing METAL!!!

8. Dan Newsom

Dan Newsom

Nov 12, 2018
    It’s almost the exact same as this it’s just not an Ibanez (don’t remeber the brand)
    Going for about 450 or so

Attached Files:

9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Hmmm, ok, so no magnetic pickup, just the piezo in the bridge? That may be an issue, depending on your tastes. I like having Piezos, but I would think for metal you'd want something with a magnetic pickup too.

2saddleslab likes this.
  10. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Hallowed basses are the best for Christian metal.

JoeDoe, justBrian, IamGroot and 6 others like this.
  11. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Then the Semi-Hallowed might be for the Doubting Thomases? heehee

IamGroot, bobyoung53, spvmhc and 3 others like this.
  12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Similar to that Ibanez without a regular pickup might not be the best choice, as mentioned above.
    $450 could be a good price or a bad price.
    Good idea to post more info so we can really help you out.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  13. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Then Hallowed Ground must be consecrated beef.

JoeDoe, Haroldo, IamGroot and 3 others like this.
  14. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Agreed that semi-hollow basses generally will work for rock, not so sure about metal. However, string choice makes a big difference; I’ve got a (German-made) Warwick Star Bass II 5’er that’s currently strung with Curt Mangan flats and it sounds absolutely incredible in the studio, but it doesn’t punch through sufficiently for shows (to the point where friends who’ve called me to play directly say “don’t bring the Warwick”). One of these days I’m going to put Rotosound rounds back on it and see what happens.

bobyoung53 and Dan Newsom like this.
  15. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Degen from Up-Country Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2018
    I’ve never used one, but the bassist for Carcass played a Hofner back in the ‘90s and sounded fine.

16. Dr. Keebs

Dr. Keebs Bassmaster General

Jan 9, 2016
    Billings, MT
    Marco Hietala of Nightwish rotates Warwick Infinity basses in his Warwick arsenal. I believe they are semi-hollow and sound wicked monstrous.

17. I recorded these with a hollow body Gretsch g5123b with no effects. I usually play justin case with an overdrive and history with a fuzz. Probably the closest you'll get to semi hollow with metal.

Skillet likes this.
  18. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I owned the Ibanez for about 2 months...fretted 4...IMO it doesn't have the mass to provide normal sustain and was only "fun" solo in a sound dampened room, but used it did have some value because of the pretty wood. The piezo system was ok up to conversational volume, above that and it was useless. Semi-hollow body basses with magnetic pu's I Do have and would be fine for any volume of rock are Epiphone Alan Woody, Epiphone Jack Cassidy and Dan Electro Longhorn (although that one might have issues at the loudest volume). The combination of low mass and piezos just made a wall hanging.

19. All semis have a centre block. Otherwise they are hollow bodied, not semis. Like the Cassidy, IIRC.

An attack of pedantry. Sorry!

20. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    hmm ask Jack Casady

bholder, Dan Newsom and Morrighan like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020