1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Semi-Hollow Bass Sides thickness

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rgarcia26, Aug 24, 2012.

1. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    Hi is being a long time since my last post...

My question:

I am working on a Semi-Hollow bass guitar, i am to make the sides from bended soft-maple, just like a traditional Gibson es-335 construction... I got 2 pieces for the sides of soft maple 1/8" thick (3.17mm) I think this is too thick to successfully to bend specially on the horns.... let me ask you what is the optimal thickness for the sides? (I forgot to mention this is the first time that I do all this :) )
    thank you so much Ruben
    The Body:

2012-07-06_12-51-30_45.

My Mold (an Inside Mold)

To be honest I was trying to make this part on the sandwich between the 2 tops, but result was to heavy. So I will use this as a mold, and then I will cut down the sides, leaving the center alone with the two bended sides.
    2012-07-06_12-48-41_67.

2012-07-06_12-51-12_339.

2. DaanW

DaanW

Oct 21, 2008
    The Netherlands
    I don't know if it is the optimal thickness, but I'd go for 2mm

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I don't recall where, but somewhere I read that 3/32" was a good thickness for sides on acoustics and semi-hollow and such. That's about 2.4mm.

4. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    Thank you guys... It looked like 1/8" is was too thick... one more question do do think that the bend for the horns are doable? any tips for me?

5. The bends on the horns are doable. Be patient and go slow, don't force the bend and keep it wet. I was able to bend a piece of walnut 2m thick and 5" wide around a 1.25" pipe. I highly recommended practice on some scraps the same dimensions as the one you plan to use to get the feel of it. You will scorch the practice pieces until you get the hang of it. I'd hate to see you burn the real thing.

The horn on the ABC I built is about the same radius as your horn. If I could bend a piece of walnut 5" wide you should have no problems with a piece of soft maple around 2" wide. It should bend like butter.;)

Did you carve the top? Tedward

Attached Files:

6. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    Yes I did carve the tops and back, the the top is padauk it was hard to do (for my standars) but the back spanish cedar of my god what a pleasure to work with.

U may not notice but I broke both horns of the top while I was making it...

2012-07-06_12-53-37_912.

2012-07-06_12-53-03_953.

Nice work thanks for the Advise :hyper:

Is that an bass from Mottola website or not? If is it I desined by bass with help for his acoustics plans...

7. Yes, I did use the Tinozza plans but I changed the bridge.

Tedward

8. rgarcia26

rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    It looks amazin from here, pretty hard core job to make a acoustic, also from here the neck looks very long, how is the balance on that BG? It is good?