1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Semi Hollow Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pedrodelawasp, Feb 19, 2008.

1. I tested several semi-hollow bodied basses in an attempt to find something that could: A) Give me something like Peter Hook's live sound; B) Give me a bit of the acoustic attack/growl of Brian Richie; and C) Still allow me to play with a smooth, well rounded sound. Oh, and D) Stay within budget!

Not really alot to ask!

I settled on the amazingly good value Ibanez AGB-140 (now discontinued, I believe).

I love the look of this bass, it's got incredible sustain thanks to the neck-through build and hollow wings, the humbucking pickup has a good output level and offers a surprising range of sounds considering there are only volume and tone pots on there. It also works brilliantly with a range of effects. As an added bonus it has the ability to WAIL with feedback, but only when you want it to. It's so easy to control this simply by moving the instrument or muting the strings. I LOVE IT!

What have you got?

2. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    Washburn AB90

[​IMG]

3. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    I've got one of those....it's my #1 instrument. I was after a P bass but tried it anyway and had to buy it. My only complaint is the tone pot is really weak but you can't replace the capacitor without soldering through the f-hole.

It can be a monster for great sounding feedback, as you say, but only when you try to get it.

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    ibanez1.
    EB2.
    Gibhead.
    longhorns.
    tearbass.
    telewatersbanjojan8008.

5. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    [​IMG]Yahama BX4
    This is my main fretted bass. It's got a piezo p/u in the bridge.

6. I also have an AGB-140 and I love it. It is hard to do much better for the money. I'm kind of surprised they discontinued them...the 34" scale is kind of uncommon for a semi-hollow.

7. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Epiphone Jack Casady Signature Model.

8. ack

ack Why Can't We All Get Along?

Nov 19, 2006
    Somewhere near Raleigh
    Samick "Greg Bennett" RLB-4.
    A really awesome bass with tons of thump.

I've included a stock photo and a pic of mine with its friends.

I'm actually thinking of selling mine to make some room...if you're interested, PM me.

9. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Another vote for the Epi Jack Casady sig.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Not semi - REALLY hollow.....Univox 335-copy.

Univox335copy.

11. If only I could hollow out my ATK somehow...