1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Semi-Hollow basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michael_atw, Oct 12, 2009.

1. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Hello everyone,

So for a couple years I've been bent on getting a semi-hollow bass. My urge to get one has reached a fever pitch in recent months and I've been looking around. I was wondering if tb has any recommendations for brands/models that I should look at? I used to own a Dean Stylist full hollow, but it was more a looker than a talker (Sea Foam Green anyone?). I liked it but then the bridge tailpiece stopped working properly and it was time to go. Anyways, this is what I've looked at so far:

-Epiphone Allen Woody Signature (I believe its a full hollow)
    -Epiphone Jack Casady Signature
    -Epiphone EA 260 (when they pop up on ebay)
    -Fender Coronado
    -I think there's an Ibanez Artcore bass...am I remembering correctly?

I've never played any but I've always enjoyed looking at the Allen Woody and the EA260. Fender Coronados are expensive but I've heard they are very good (not to mention vintage:cool:) and they look even better than the Epis. Jack Casady seems like the middle road choice though (in price, at least).

Any opinions on these certain ones, or any other brands/models to recommend? Very much appreciated, thanks.

2. im pretty much in the same boat, subscribed!

anyone have any experiance with the eastwood classic 4? ive seen the bass wisperers review but if anyone here owns one please share!

3. humbleleon991

humbleleon991

Oct 12, 2009
    The first after I got my starter bass was an Ibanez Artcore. I love it, it plays really uniqually, but is still easy to play at the same time. I play in a cover band and we play alot of southern rock, blues, rock, etc... even though its not my main bass, I love having it as a backup at gigs.

4. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    Have a look at the Waterstone TP4.

I bought it.

Mahog body
    Maple Set Neck
    Rosewood board

I put on some flats..I mainly got this to cover my Ric/Hoff stuff.

This guitar is just amazing quality, and less expensive than most.

5. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
  6. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I had been thinking along the same lines for some time. Here's what I wound up with:

[​IMG]

7. AB90i is a 4 string with passive mag pups and piezo's.

AB95 is a 5 string with passive mag pups. Very hot passive pups.

I have a fretted AB95 and a soon to be fretless AB95. To my ears with the Elixers I have on, it has an arch top electric guitar vibe. With TI flats it had the same tone quality but more resonance that the Hamer Cruise J bass I had.

Haven't played the one's you listed, but the Washburn is very high quality - especially for the price.

May be able to find a used one for around $500 - $600.

Good luck.

RJM

8. depalm

depalm

Apr 22, 2004
    São Paulo
    I bought one based on some reviews but haven't received it.
    It seems to be a nice bass and I'll slap some flatwounds on as soon i can put my hands on it.

I also gonna see if I can replace the pickups for TV Jones.

9. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    Check out a Rob Allen MB-2! Awesome instrument!

10. John127

John127

Nov 13, 2007
    New York City
    Waterstone is great for the money. I have an Indra that I absolutely love.

11. I second that! I have a Waterstone TP 4 with the black MOTS finish and it is a killer bass!

12. thanks depalm be sure to let us know what you think!!

13. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
  14. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Like the one pictured above :bassist:

15. jkumnick

jkumnick Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Southern Maine
    I had an Epi Jack Casady for 4-5 years and it was a good bass. The build quality was very good and it was easy to play. Sound was good and pretty versatile for a one pu bass. Nice thing about these is that they are 34' scale while so many hollow basses are short scale. It neck dived a bit when playing with a strap. I would still have but an upright playing friend really liked it and it wasn't one of my main basses so he's enjoying it now.

16. Very nice. I think that one belongs in the Rob Allen thread if it's not already there.

Rob's basses are great and offer superior balance to most vintage style designs.

17. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I've actually heard of the Waterstone basses and checked them out before, now that I think of it..

I definitely wouldn't mind the 34" scale. And I think its pretty funny how the Guild, Fender and Epi. vintage hollow-bodies all look pretty similar.

Anyone played a Lakland Skyline hollow bass?

18. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Thanks Spade. It'll be in the Rob Allen thread next week. It's completed and in transit to me, I'll post pics and comments after I try it out. Rob says it sounds GREAT!

19. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    There really are some good semi-hollowbody choices out there, with more on the way. I really like the tone of Semi-hollow basses and own too many of them. One that is outstanding in the field from a standpoint of tone and value is the Epiphone Jack Casady Signature. It is certainly worth a close look. The Epi JC is the sunburst one on the left.

Guitars040.

20. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Try the DiPinto Belvedere. Like the Jack Casady, it's 34" scale, but it has two hot single coils that produce a unique, powerful tone. On the neck pickup, it sounds similar to a really good vintage P-bass. And the neck is super fast, with an ebony fretboard which is cool. It's a great bass.

http://dipintoguitars.com/product.php?id=11

The only downside is the long reach to first position when playing standing, with a strap. Many 34" scale semi-hollow and hollowbodies have this issue due to the upper strap button placement around the 15th fret. Even with this, I would have kept the DiPinto if I hadn't acquired a G&L SB-2 that does the powerful, deep and heavy thing just as well, if not better.