semi-hollow bodies with contours - any out there?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by craigb, Jan 3, 2003.

1. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hi Everyone,

I just sold off a Godin A4 which I had for a short time because I didn't like the feel of the "square" body edge. I really liked the sound - the hollow, braced body, LR Baggs sensor and nylon strings combined for a very deep, woody, warm sound.

Pretty much all the basses like this I see for sale are similar in that they have a square body edge that just isn't comfortable to me. The Godin, Carvin AC-40, Turner Renaissance, Allen MB-2, etc. all would have the same "problem" (and most would be out of my price range anyway). One bass that seems to have a contour is the Status Graphite Electro-3 but that's way out of my league.

Would this type of bass body now available from Warmoth work:

The hollowing seems to be done mainly to reduce weight so I don't know if it would contribute to a "semi-hollow" type of sound. USA Custom also seems to offer a contoured guitar semi-hollow and I could look into getting a similarly built bass body.

Would a body like this contribute to a "semi-hollow" sound or would I be better off exploring solid bodies with piezo pickups (similar to the Turner Electroline series)?

thanks for your guidance
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Check out the Lakland Hollowbody. Very comfortable to play. Not exactly cheap, though.

If you see the BW body style in the New Warmoth bass thread, it is more hollow than the Jazz you have listed. It has hollow sides with a center block that should give the sound you are looking for. For a while, I was planning on getting one to go with a neck and piezo bridge that I had, but I decided against it, and sold both pieces. My goal was to make a poor man's Rob Allen-ish bass.
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Thanks for the pointer - I'd missed the BW as the only place it appears on the Warmoth website is the one in the thrift shop. I can't tell for sure if it's contoured or not.

I'd forgotten about the Lakland - I was hoping for a Skyline version but all signs point to no Skyline hollowbody.

Maybe a Dean Rhapsody HB with an added piezo of some sort . . .
  4. bwbass

May 6, 2002
    The BW is not contoured, although it has a more rounded edge than most semi-hollow bodies.

The hollow J has full contours, however, and does get a semi-semi-acoustic sound. We've got an alder tester in the shop and it's definitely much more lively and resonant than a solid body, but not as "hollow"-sounding as the BW would.
  5. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Thanks Brian, I appreciate the info.
  6. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    im expecting to receive the new Spector Semi- Acoustic sometime early next week. you can check it out here.
    I got a 5 string fretless model. Theyre relatively cheap as theyre the Korean line. These are very new and i have no idea what to expect, kinda of a shot in the dark. Ill let you know what i think after the Big Brown Truck makes its appearance.
  7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    The Spector does not appear to have a forearm cut.
  8. odie

odie Supporting Member