Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

semi-hollow body basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldasyoufeel, Jul 21, 2005.

1. I need help with choosing a semi-hollow body bass
    I want a 34" scale 4 string and no stores in the area have or have had anything in stock to actually see/play.
    In the $600 dollar range, I like the ASAT hollow body but out of my price range. Washburn ab90?? Jack Cassidy?? were two I was
    considering pros and cons on these two.
    Playing 60's pop/rock and want to conpliment my p-bass.
    Please help!

2. Look for a used Reverend Rumblefish. They are on e-Bay regularly and, trust me, one of those will fulfull all your semi-hollow needs.

3. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Ibanez make some "Artcore" semi-hollow boxes.

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    The Ibanez Artcore, they have two styles. $400 at GC. Here's mine:
    [​IMG]

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You can get a used Epiphone Jack Casady bass for $600 , i did.

6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've had a number of semihollows, and pretty much all of them were good:

- Godin A4: really nice, piezo-only, really gives an acoustic sound. Can be had used for under $600.

- Rumblefish: very, very nice. Personally I like the P-J the best but the XL and regular are good as well. Harder to find used and $600 might not get it these days.

- JC Sig: super supportive tone, really fills in under the band. Watch for fingerboards and bridges coming up.

- DiPinto Belvedere Std: nice raw aggressive tone with air from being semi-hollow. Bridge is a little funky but overall it was solid. Can be had for under $600 new.

Those are the ones I've had personal experience with and would recommend. Have fun shopping

7. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Do a search for a Spector Spectorecore. EMG HZ PU and Fishman Piezo Power Bridge. Sweet.
    Randy

8. +1.
    There's one on eBay right now. Early one with a maple fretboard.

9. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Are you looking for a "gibson style" semihollow, or a semihollow that is shaped like a solidbody. If you are looking for the traditional shape, I would say Jack casaday or artcore. I like the Casaday a bit better, but even used, the Casaday is going to be 200 bucks more. I have played both and the Ibanez is a good instrument, very solid, comfortable to play, and the brown singlecut model is quite nice. However I must say that if I purchased an artcore, I would either put flats on it or change the pickup for something more vinatagey.

10. +1 on the Artcore. I have the double cutaway, and it's a nice bass. (It's one of 4 I own; I'm not just talking up my only bass...)

I put a set of Fender Flatwounds on it and am very happy with the sound, even with the stock pickup. The only thing I'd really improve is the sheilding/grounding; I get a bit of ground buzz in the wrong conditions.

-- Sam

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've had a DiPinto Belvedere for two years, and I love it. I'm sure some of the others, like the Epi Jack Cassady, are very good too, but the DiPinto is awesome.

It has a 34" scale and two hot (but low-hum) single coil pickups. The bridge pickups sounds similar to a Jazz bridge, and the neck pickup is similar to a vintage P-bass, but all of it has that extra resonance from the semi-hollow body. It has more punch than a stock Precision, and more clarity from the single coils, which growl mightily when pushed. It can be very aggressive or very mellow depending on hand position, technique, strings, etc. It seems more responsive to these variables than solid bodied basses.

The neck has a Jazz nut width and good contours, so playability is very good, albeit not quite in the league of my MIA Fenders or a good Ibanez. It isn't good for slapping, but that's probably not why you want a semi-hollow.

I have only two gripes. First, the short upper horn creates a long reach to first position when it's worn on a strap. I get used to this pretty quickly, but it's not as comfortable to play on stage as my Fenders. (It sounds and looks so awesome that it's a primary gig bass anyway.) I also prefer a satin finished neck to the DiPinto's painted neck, which can get sticky. Not a big deal though.

Take a look:

http://dipintoguitars.com/basses_belvedere-std.html

12. Thanks for all the imput/help
    I'm going with the Ibanez asb140
    I like the look and all the reviews were pos+ and good price
    $392 @ musiciansfriend :)

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I own a Jack Cassady. It's a really nice bass, and a complimentary flavor to The Best Bass Of All Time:

Reverends are da shizzle for me. I have a 5L, and a BH5.

"Awesome."

14. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Good choice! I ordered a case for mine from Zzounds, it's a great case, very sturdy.
    Everyone says they put flatwounds on their's but I'm staying with rounds. I've got a bunch of hollowbody basses, all with flats, this one's my hollowbody bass with rounds, very cool tone.

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    From Jack Casady's website:
    4. PREFERRED STRINGS: I use Dean Markley "Blue Steel" strings, round wound. Medium Light. Gauges: E-105; A-80; D-65; G-45.

Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats are really nice. SIT powerflats are real nice, and waaay cheaper than the TI's.

I think Fender and Labella both make black tapewounds that some guys like.

16. I got the case with it, I beat all my stuff all to hell to and from gigs so it wouldn't survice without a hard case.
    Glad to hear it's a quality case. I also got some fender flats just to see with I prefer. Don't know til ya give it a listen.

17. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    +1 on getting the ibby!
    i have the same one, with roto jazz 77 flats, and it's the 'nads.
    my band loves the sound, and we do everything from power ballads to ska.

it took me a bit to find a comfy playing position because of dueling bellies... :D ...but i did, and it's a fun, nice sounding bass.

also, when i sit in on jazz or blues, i get a nice uprightish sound.

good on you, matey!
    :hyper:

18. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Yep, the Jack Cassady is an excellent choice. I love mine, but like my LP Signature better...after all, it is the opriginal. I picked up a Guild Starfire II for that price and it is also excellent but short scale. Look for a used Lakand Skyline Hollowbody. You might be able to find one in your price range and they are also excellent. Good luck in your search!

19. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    FYI, it takes extra-long scale strings.

20. The Yamaha BEX models are great, but often overlooked. I've played a few, and they all felt solid and reliable and are quite versatile. I really like the wat they sound as well, and since they have both magnetic and piezo pick ups, they're quite versatile.
    The one Jack Casady I've played felt like it could fall apart any minute, so I would never consider one over the Yamaha, nor recommend one. Everyone elses mileage may vary, though.