1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Semi-hollow body Precision bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by taskertail, May 5, 2010.

1. I have a semi-hollow body precision bass by Fender. I don't know as much about it as I would like. I know it has Hearfield electronics, piezo bridge p/u, Lace sensor precision p/u,tobacco burst color, made in either 1989 or 1990 according to Fender. Any further info would be appreciated.

2. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Made in Japan, also available as a fretless, several finish options.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Does it look like the bottom bass in this picture?

148_4900.

Those are great basses, IMHO. I did replace the split-P pickup with a Nordtrand, and I added a buffer to both the piezo and magnetic pickups (the mag doesn't really need it, but they blend better if you buffer both) and replaced the preamp with a Bart 2-band. While I definitely think that my upgrades made a notable improvement, that's a fine bass as-is, too. :cool:

Tom.

4. Marc61

Marc61

Jul 29, 2007
    Greater NY Area
    Tm, those are awesome looking basses

5. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Kind of a rare model that Fender produced in Japan 1989-90 before discontinuing the model. The A/E stands for acoustic electric. It is a semi-hollow bound thinline body in the exact footprint of a non-contoured pbass. These basses were equipped with a Lace Sensor P-style pickup, a weak piezo pickup and a preamp. The bass community was not thrilled with the OEM piezo and preamp electronics, and the general opinion is the technology needed another decade to mature, in order for this bass to really shine.

As a result, this bass as with many other original A/Es has electronics upgrades in order to play to its full potential. The mods in mine include an upgraded piezo pickup and a two-band Bartolini preamp. The bass ranges between the Lace Sensor P-style pickup punch, an outrageously growny piezo, and all points in between. It is a hoot to play.

I love the ergonomics too. It has a comfortable Pbass footprint and is just a bit lighter at 7.2-pounds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I like the AE Fender a whole lot. Agree on the need for upgrades in electronics.

I'm curious as to what piezo youre getting?

FenderAE.

7. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Sorry I don't know. The upgrades were already in when I bought the AE, and the PO never told me which piezo went in.

8. Wow that is one sexy bass. ;)

9. Jazzcat

Jazzcat

Jan 20, 2009
    Titusville, FL
    Hey!!! I know it. Anybody who parts with their Fender AE with these mods is bat-crazy, that's all I can say!!! ;)

I gave it a molded Fender case to live in, so you know I'm taking good care of it. :D

[​IMG]

10. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    Very cool! That's a rare bird, I've never played one or even seen one in person. :)

11. SNOTROCKET56

SNOTROCKET56

Mar 13, 2011
    Very cool looking id love to play one

12. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    OMG! I'm in love! I had no idea such a thing was made!

But as usual I want it 5 string. Feh! I wonder what the custom shop could do? I can see that this is eventually going to cost me some coin!