Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

semi hollow body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 10, 2000.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    hi there!
    every day in every way i'm getting better and better. to me sounds more as every day in every way i'm getting more and more confused. i'm still thinkin about a second bass. i have a rickenbacker 4001 and i like the old type of sounds, i prefer passive instruments and i'm afraid to touch these roar thundering new kind of basses. i thought that a good bass forme could be the reverend rumblefish. then i fall in love with the t-bird and the eb-3, but unluckly they are too expensive for my pockets. so i started to be interested in semihollow body basses at a reasonable price. i've seen, but not played -it seems that here everyone wants an high end bass so music shops are full of hi tech japanese basses- the epiphone rivoli II and the de armond starfire. i heard that are both quite good instruments but the de armond starfire seems to be much better in the electronics and pick ups. but the epiphone has the power boost button similar ti the eb-3. can you tell me what honestly think about these two basses? and in general about semihollowbody basses? as usually i'm open to other suggestions about other kind of basses, vintage ones too. hoping that they are not too expensive.
    thanks a lot!
    ciao
    marco

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Marco, I own a DeArmond Starfire and I think it is a very nice bass for the money, I bought mine new for $300USD. They have been discontinued so if you want one snatch it up.
    DeArmond is probably most famous for their pickups, very nice. The downside, this is a short scale bass and some people don't want that at all. Also, I don't like the way this bass hangs on a strap so I usually play it sitting down. It has some very nice tones and is a great bass to bend strings and do vibratos on, probably due to the short scale, light strings and large frets. I have no regrets having bought one.

Mike

3. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Ive played the DeArmond bass a few times.Real nice bass and for 299 on sale a GREAT deal.Ive not had a chance to play the Rivolis.Its offered with either 1 or 2 pups.By far my favorite SH is Epis Casady bass.I liked it so much i bought it!IMHO one of the best sounding basses goin.Plays real nice too.Good luck!

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i' ve seen there is aria semy hollow body bass too. these are from japan or somewhere else in the far east inferno, but the bass, called tab 60 seems to be well made. do you know something about it?
    thanks again to everyone involved, you'r great guys
    marco

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I agree with Bernie. The Epi Cassady sig. bass is the best production semi-hollow body on the market. It's really bordering on being a GREAT instrument, IMO. I own an original Gibson Les Paul Signature bass, on which the Epi is based, and I can tell you that the differences in tone and playability are not significant. The Gibson is better looking, especially the back. Otherwise, the Epi is a stone winner...and a bargain, too!

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I agree with boogiebass that the Epiphone Jack Casady
    is a good semi-acoustic. I got mine from Musician's
    Friend for a stoopid discount (>55% off list).
    It has the sunburst finish. Naturally, about a week
    later Bass Northwest listed an all black one
    that looked much better.

Elderly is selling a "used" sunburst for $485.
    It looks to be in pretty good shape from all the pics.
    Not bad for somethin' that lists for around $1200...

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/55U-2564.htm

GHS Precision Flatwounds bring out a lot from that
    Electar pickup. Especially on switch position 3 -
    "Max Snarl" mode.