1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Semi-HollowBody Bass - Tone Pros / Cons?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Mar 1, 2006.

1. I'm working out some of the final details on my Stambaugh Custom, and one of the big decisions I have left to make is whether to go Semi-Hollow or stick with a solid body. Chris tells me that a semi-hollow body design will yield a 'hollow' tone and though it's a cool sound, he doesn't reccommend it for a bass that's meant to be a players main instrument. So I have to decide:

a) If the 'hollow' sound is one that I would like and be able to make good use of

and

b) If I'm willing to sacrifice some of that solid-body tone for the awesome looks a semi-hollow body (with a sweet cutout design).

I love the look, just not sure if I would love the tone as much as a solid-body. So if anyone with experience with a hollow or semi-hollow bass could chime in and let me know your opinions on the tone and its flexibility, or if you have any soundclips - that would be cool :)

Thanks!!!

2. Second page already??? :ninja:

3. My Stambaugh 6 is chambered, against Chris' advice; he told me it would dominate the tone & rob me of the versatility I was after. I wanted to lighten it a bit, but I also had a hunch I would like the end result. I do(like it)99% of the time; the only downside for me is a very slight loss of clarity below low D. The upper register sounds great, though- gets a kind of guitary tone if I work at it. I imagine Oteil could really make it sing; in my hands, I often hear it complain.:D My bass has no soundhole(s), which may or may not have a big impact on the overall tone. I think keeping it sealed tightens it up, as it doesn't really sound like a hollowbody. I don't know how extensive the chambering is, though. You might mention my bass to Chris- he said he really liked the tone.

4. Thanks. The primary reason I'm thinking of doing it is for the looks. Weight isn't much of an issue for me, I kinda like 'em around the 9lb area actually :bag:

I sent an e-mail to Chris asking about maybe minimalizing the hollowness. Making it a more shallow cut and just the area underneath the cutout, instead of the whole upper wing.

I just know that when I see basses like these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I look at those sweet cutouts and go "wow" :cool:

5. What do you think? :smug:

(My concept drawings as of now)

Attached Files:

6. Those are sweet. I don't like the DB-style f-holes, though; those are specifically made to work w/the whole design of a violin, cello, etc, & I can't imagine they have any benefit other than aesthetics:eyebrow: on a completely different instrument, be it a Telecaster, ASAT or whatever. That top bass is on the cover of 6 string bassics; a Ken Bebensee, yes?

7. I like the drawings- are you going to show the neck-through lams?

Edit: Hey! Did you ask for permission to use 'my' finger/fretboard extension?:D

8. Yeah, I'm definatly gonna have Chris leave the neck lams out in the open :smug: . On some neck through basses, I'm not real into full face tops. If you've got all those beautiful laminates in there, might as well show them off from the front :D .

And yeah, those are both Ken Bebensee basses. A good part of the influence for this bass is from KB. I love all of his work. Along with some Ken Lawrence influences and some Stambaugh too (yours ;)). I love how that fingerboard extension looks - I sketched a bunch of a different styles and that one looked best to me, hope you don't mind :)

Do you not like just the DB style f-holes, or cutouts in general?

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Just for the looks? Interesting reason... why not inlay a piece of ebony there?

I'm not sure about chambered. I'd rather go with solidbody on my next basses. The chambers can introduce a number of problems, like conflicting frequencies and cancellations, swelling, etc.

BTW those are a helluva lot of switches and pots...
    My new bass has 3 pots and 2 switches (v/v/t; series/parallel; tone switch: .047, .100 uF or tone pot bypass), and I rarely use even anything beyond the vols. :ninja:

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Your fretboard extension? You mean like the ones on the Curbow Slappers for the last 7 years? :D

11. I thought about that too, but I don't think it would be quite the same for me. I guess it's not just the looks, but also the idea of having a chambered body like that. Seems like the ultimate "custom" thing to do. :smug:

12. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    It seems to me that Sir Paul McCartney has done pretty well for himself using a hollowbody bass as his Number 1.

13. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Toronto/Buffalo
    Not to mention Jack Casady - Guild/Alembic Starfires 67 -72 or so; Les Paul Sig/Casady Sig for over 10 years now.

14. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    In a way a control cavity makes a bass semi-hollow. Just a thought.

15. Since your getting a Stammie made for you, how about selling your KL to me for real cheap?? :D I know that the most exquisite CocoBolo top on earth shouldn't stop your from giving it to a young man with a dream:D

16. I don't think so. That bass will be with me for a long long time ;)

Good point Moo, I never really thought about that. But like Bassteban said, it's enclosed which might minimize the 'hollow' sound. Hmm....

17. Any other opinions / experiences out there?

18. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

With a dynamic pre amp and finger style I cant see how a hollow or chambered body would limit you.

19. Schwaa

Schwaa

Feb 25, 2006
    This is my Yamaha BEX4
    [​IMG]

I haven't gotten an amp yet but it did sound really good at the store. Semi-Hollow, the chambers take up most of the body but it has one thick solid pieces straight down the middle.
    So 2 large chambers, each with it's own sound hole. I think the f clef looks good on this design, but not on all designs.

A bonus is that I can hear it pretty good not plugged in so I can practice without an amp.

20. And this one's about as dynamic as they come :D

Thanks Schwaa (and welcome!!!). That's another plus side for me; having a more pronounced unplugged tone.

And BTW: Which one of those two cutout designs (post #5) do you like best?