Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

(semi)Hollowbody Vs Solid Body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lewk, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I've recently played my first semi-hollow bass (G&L ASAT) and it sounded absolutely incredible.

Being quite new to the whole "makeup of guitars" i was just wondering what a hollowbody actually does to affect the sound. If this needs to be moved to luthier then thats cool with me!

Cheers guys

2. I guess one way to describe a hollow or semi-hollow body would be to say that the body sustains less, and resonates more than a solid-body.

I'm not an expert, but I think it has to do with the note bouncing around inside the bass' body when plucked. I think it creates more, or more complex overtones. Most people consider this sound as being "warmer" than a regular solid-body bass. I have a semi hollow-body bass, an Epiphone Jack Casady, and it does have an extremely warm, almost upright-like tone.

The dowm side to hollow-body instruments would be feed back from high volume levels.

I'm sure someone will explain it better than me. ;)

Mike :)

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I am having the same delema. I checked the dudepit(G&L's bass forum) And they said the semi hollow is a little deeper in tone. But there is a little neck dive issue that's why a lot of players opt for the L2K. Does the F hole make a diff in tone? But I will get a G&L it's just a matter of chosing the L2K vs the ASAT and which ASAT to get, solid, semi-hollow, or F hole. I am leaning toward the ASAT.

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Was there any neck dive? Do you know which neck it had there are several to choose from? Did you play it in active or passive mode? I know a lot of questions.....

5. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    I'm not quite sure what neck dive is, but the neck seemed pretty straight and solid to me on the one on the shop.

it was with an F Hole and had a rosewood neck.

it sounded absolutely phenomenal. i tried the electronics in many different modes. I also played an L2000, which sounded just slightly inferior to me. still unbelievable though.

I'd personally like to try one with a maple neck (i like these) and also play with the electronics more. from what i did, it seemed extremely versatile and i could flick from classic to modern tones with a flick of the switch.

it's also beautiful.

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thanks Lewk, neck dive is when the neck is a little heavy and it makes the bass tilt downwards towards the neck, that is the only complaint about those bass's. But that was the exact comparison I was looking for. I'm getting an ASAT. I'm thinking Ebony on the neck, still wondering how much the F hole affects the overall sound. How was the neck, was it shaped like a Fender Jazz really skinny, or more like a P bass, or do you recall?

7. top028

top028

Dec 14, 1999
    Lancaster, PA
    I have a warmoth five string jazz. I routed out the top half of the bass leaving about 1/4" on all the sides, mostly as an experiment, and to lighten the bass some. I love the 4 string tone. The G string sings quite a bit in a strange way, but I think its the maple/maple neck. The bass will sustain. The B string is kinda slacking. I read some post from dingwall not using swamp ash on the B side, because of 5th string stability (I can't imagine it makes much difference on a 35-36" scale) and the porus wood. Well, I have a swamp ash body with a giant hole routed out the back side, how much more porus could I get? I didnt like the bass from the begining, so I tried every thing...I settled on emg select pickups and nylon tapewound strings. In hind site, maple fretboard with gigantic frets was a bad bad idea. It has some neck dive, but I actually like neck dive. I also have a hollow body archtop bass with the original cheep-ass maxitone pickup. I have put gain out the ass on it and never had any problems with feedback. It has a pressed (i dont believe it was carved being a cheep japanize bass) 1/8" top on it two f-holes a fretless/rosewood mohogany neck and leagues of sweet tone. Oh and it dives like a kamakazi

8. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003

Much more like a p-bass neck. it was thick, beefy, and felt like something solid was in the hand. perfect for me.

as for neck dive, well it seemed ok to nme but i didnt try it with my strap on. There is 2 strap connector things on the bridge end of the bass, so wether one of those would affect the dive or not i don't know. I dunno if the f-hole affects it, i would presume (though this may be a stupid presumption) it lets the sound escape, so you still get resonation but not as easy feedback. maybe.

the f hole also looks sweet.

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    You said f hole...thanks Lewk

10. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    no problem, though this thread has mmade me yearn for one even more!

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    a guy over at the pit makes an attatchment to battle the neck dive issues with the ASAT.

xush has one.

12. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    the pit? whats that?

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

an ASAT semi hollow sitting that is not a common thing around here

14. MAJOR METAL

PS i am a huge semi hollow fan and their is a distinct diffrence in tone.

15. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003

what do you mean by this?

16. MAJOR METAL

Not too many people at TB have played semi hollow asat , they seem a littel harder to find.

17. Lewk

Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    ahh right. well thye had one in this shop and it rocked, and presumably when i want one they can order one from another store.