Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

semi Major band requires me to have an Ampeg.. Ampeg SVT-CL ?need advice, please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blah114, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Blah114

Blah114 Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I am going to team with a band in my area that plays every FRI and SAT.. the larger rooms.. corporate events also.. but their requirement is Ampeg.. I already have an Ampeg cabinet.. I have an LMII head.. and a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0.. I admit, confess even, I still wonder about Ampeg's quality, etc.. but I am looking at buying a Ampeg SVT-CL.. or similar.. but this 300 watt head (300????) is like $1300 USD... that's insane.. what is the story with Ampeg nowadays.. do I really want the headache of tubes, an 85 lb head, etc.. I don't think so, but their requirement is an Ampeg tube head.. I can't argue with them.. I don't care for the SVT4 Pros anymore.. I really like what I read about the CL.. but how can I plop down $1500 or so on a 300 watt head.. any thoughts?

any other options, besides saying no to the band.. it's their requirement.. they want the ampeg logo, the ampeg tube sound.. and they get reimbursed by ampeg if the bass player has the logo (please, no smartass comments about putting the ampeg logo over the LMII head).. this is a serious band.. paying $200 to the bass player per show.. which is a lot for a cover band.. plus they have a crew that hauls equipment, if I can trust them.

2. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Get a used one.

They can often be around half that price.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Get THEM to buy the amp. It's their requirement.

Paul

5. alembicguy

alembicguy Lone Wolf Miner of iron ore Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Pickup a used SVT-CL and go that route. You can get a used American made one pretty reasonably and at $200 per show it will pay for it's self

6. Im really not being a smart ass here.

Could you just by a used/broken/the shell of an ampeg head, put it on top of the rig, and just "hide" the head you want to play behind the amp and have that actually drive your signal?

It sounds like the band doesnt really care about the ampeg itself, they just want the sponsorship money

7. mulchor

mulchor

Apr 21, 2010
    St Pete, FL
    Sounds like a Mastercard moment. Less than one month of your weekends to pay for it...

The Ampeg is what it is. It'll sound great. Prob'ly the LMII sounds great, too. But that's not the point.

8. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Get an ampeg head case.... and put a vt bass in it.

9. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    yeah, do you get the kickback from ampeg?
    if there is that close a relationship, why not get a loaner from them?

10. Blah114

Blah114 Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2008
    thanks.. so many replies so quickly.. the BAND gets a kickback from Ampeg but I get nothing.. (and like it.. lol).. so that's the way it is.. I guess I could take a case, put another head..

a) is the CVL actually loud enough in a 6-piece band? without going DI.. ? 300 watts is miniscule..

b) where can I get used CVLS? I have not been able to find any from reputable dealers..

c) yes, it pays for itself.. totally.. it's a no brainer.. I'll be under contract with this band and they cannot get rid of me, nor I of them, until 1 year.. it's affiliated even with a local radio station guy, who's the lead in the band..

So, Ampeg gives money [via shows], yes.. and I am asking them for a loaner.. however, I have to buy one eventually.. I might be able to get away with using my Berg 12" cabinets.. so long as I put black tape over them.. no one cares about speakers anyway, at clubs.. lol.. but that Ampeg head has got to be there.. the band , from what I am told, does not get kickback necessarily, but instead gets to play two top-tier small theaters three times yearly.. thanks to Ampeg.. so who am I to argue.. as those shows pay the band huge $$$ per show.. and we all split it evenly..

I guess what I am wondering.. is if I am going to spend this kind of money, unless someone can tell me where to go for used.. what Ampeg should I look at.. the dealer says AMpeg SVT 5... and an 8x10 cabinet.. but seriously.. I am not playing arenas here.. just 500-seat or less clubs.. and then a few arenas during the year.. maybe.. it's a big step for me.. I am honored to be part of the band.. had to sign a code of conduct deal also.. which was no problem..

11. bass4u

bass4u Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2007
    maryland,usa

absolutely. I bet if the drummer or keyboards had to use a certain brand of gear they would balk too.

12. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    So much for "self-expression," "independence," or "being your own man." I can see if you're playing in a tribute band that requires "Brand X" for show, but what you describe is corporate control of what will soon be, what used to be "YOU!"

I'm not the one getting paid, though. If it's a job, and I need a tool to do the job, I go buy it. Brands have been suggested to me, but never forced on me.

If you think you can handle "being handled" then do it.

Just my .02 worth.

X8 :bassist:

13. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Evanston, IL
    Get an old V-4 and a couple sealed 1x15's. Tubey goodness!

I'm going to go ahead and preemptively +1 my own post.

14. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Your Mom.
    Dude, the 300w all tube Ampegs are PLENTY loud enough. One of those mated with a fully closed 8x10 will shake walls.

If I could find one on the cheap, and had someone to move it for me, that's all I would play.

Which ones?

SVT CL or a Classic VR. Done and done.

15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Tell them you'll play any amp they provide.

16. I just signed a production and management deal, and am looking forward to a lot of large, important shows in the next few months. I had been using an 810e with one of several heads, but when it became clear that these deals were the real deal, I immediately went on the look out for a used SVT, and it took me three days to find one on Craigslist. I got mine for $850 plus an hour and a half drive to pick it up. Just keep an eye out, they're all over the place.

The SVT is heavy, and a little expensive for the average player, but it's one of the loudest amps you can imagine, especially when paired with the 810e. Besides that, it is a legitimately great sounding amp. You won't be disappointed.

17. bigtiny

bigtiny

Jun 20, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    If they have a kickback deal and require the Ampeg, then they should just provide you with a bass rig. Otherwise, you should play what you want unless they have some legitimate musical compaint about your choice.

bigtiny

18. I'd never play in a band that requires that I play an amp that they say I have to play to be in their band. They can shove it where the sun don't shine, IMHO.:eyebrow:

19. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    What happens if you get the head and they say "Where's that Ampeg sound?" Will they tell you to change strings from flats to rounds or vice-verse? If they don't like where your bass hangs on you, will they say "Shorten/lengthen your strap?" Maybe I'm just over-medicated, but this has me TICKED! Ask your closest friends, the ones that REALLY know YOU, for advice. If you need to put food on the table, then do whatever's necessary to have employment. Otherwise, use it as an opportunity for making contacts with people that just might help your career at the end of your contract.

I guess if it's FUN, then all should work out.

Good luck.

X8 ;)

20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    If the band is looking for a certain "image" for their stage I can understand the requirement. A lot of this is just smoke and mirrors.

I was once asked to buy a certain amp and was also asked to dress a certain way. I passed as I was also required to play the tunes note for note with the original arrangements. No Paul in the equation whatsoever! I passed - it was simply too much like work and no pleasure!!

Paul

21. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    No offense... but you've never played one live, have you? ;)

300w of tube is more than you could use in a Venue with a PA.