Semi-new bassist with an ABG question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tevye, Dec 6, 2003.

1. tevye

Sep 3, 2003
    I was wondering what everyone though, do you think that having an acoustic bass is a good idea, does it come in handy?
  2. They can be useful for acoustic gigs, or playing without an amp, but there's not much you can do to change the sound or volume. Nice to have, but an electric backup is advised.
  3. Welcome to TB.

I have owned a Guild ABG since 1994, I find I only use this bass on Coffee House gigs and a couple of Delta Blues gigs.

If you have the funds, they are nice to have in your arsenal, otherwise, not a necessity.

4. After Forever

After Forever Banned

Feb 27, 2003
    Detroit area
    I play my regular bass without an amp when the roomates are sleeping, it kind of sucks but practice is practice i guess.
  5. tevye

Sep 3, 2003
    thanks for the help everyone
  6. I'd consider getting one just so I could practice without an amp an hear myself better. It's also nice to be able to jam with acoustic guitarists without needing your amp.
  7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    It would indeed be nice to be able to jam with acoustic guitars -- it is, then, unfortunate that most ABGs can't hold a candle to the volume of an acoustic guitar.
  8. I have an Ovation and I think it's great as a practice bass - no need to plug in, and also as a different timbre when plugged in. When playing with any more than one guitar you'll need to amplify, but even so when plugged in ABG's have a different tone to electrics that is quite pleasing and suits more "acoustic" or "unplugged" type sessions. Depends on what you want to do with it...