Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Semi-Newbie: Looking for Advice on New Bass Purchase

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Totengraber, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Hello, my name is Todd and I've been playing (read: goofing off) bass guitar off and since about 1991. I've never played in a band or anything, I just play for my own enjoyment at my house. Anyway, I bought a Rogue 5-string bass a couple of years ago and I'm not too happy with it. It seems they took the 4-string model and replaced the bridge and nut to add the fifth string, so the string spacing is rather narrow. So, I've decided to get a new bass and here's what I've been looking at:

- Kramer Baretta 522S/P
    - Kramer Striker 522S
    - Toby Deluxe-5
    - Cort Curbow 5
    - Fender 5-string Std Jazz Bass
    - Squier Std P-Bass Special 5-string

I'm trying to keep the price range in the $0-$500 range. This will be the most I've ever spent on an instrument, but I think I've learned the "you get what you pay for" lesson all too well.

The 5-string thing isn't necessary, I just like the super-lows you can get out of that extra string.
    Anyway, any advice you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Todd Dunn

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Kinda like a Rickenbacker! ;)

FWIW, I would look hardest at a Fender MIM Jazz 5 and at a MTD Kingston 5. Most of the examples I've seen of each of these have been very impressive, with good quality construction and a decent B string.

I'm a big MusicYo fan and customer, but you can do better than the Toby and Kramer in your price range. Personally, I'd always look at a MIM Fender before a Squier. And I have minimal experience with Corts, so no comment there.

Have fun looking!

3. Out of that list, I'd probaby go with the Tobias. You can also get the MTD Kingston, or a used Lakland Skyline in that range.

4. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Out of your list its a tie between the Fender and the Cort. They are both nice basses. I haven't had any experience with the MTD Kingston but it seems nearly everyone here loves them so you should check them out if you can.

And as for the used Lakland Skyline for $500.....back off cuz its mine;) I've been looking for one for awhile now. Anyone have one?

5. Another vote for the Fender Jazz V Std.

Because the quality varies on these MIM instruments (IMO), make sure you have a chance to play the one you are going to buy before shelling out the cash.

Make sure the setup is not hurting your judgement of the instrument's potential. A lot of music shops pay little or no attention to setup, and so bad action, buzzing frets and ridiculous string height are common to find on basses for sale in these stores. Buying used from a player or from a bass specialty store should help with the setup issue.

Good luck, and have fun looking and test-driving!:D

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The only one I would add would be one of the Spector NS2000/Q5. I have a REX200/5 which is just a different body shape. I think that they will be maybe $100 out of your price range - but in terms for value for money, they are difficult to beat.

Other than that I'd say check out the MIM Fender. I have a Jazz Fretless, and mine is real nice, but I've played some that ain't - so be careful out there!

7. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    IF, and it's a big if, you find a Skyline under $500, get it, hands down. Do a search on the Kingston, a lot of positive fedback on it around here.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Kingston baby. 450 out the door, new. It'll kick ya in the pants, for sure!

9. Okay, since Kingston is pretty much the #1 suggestion, how would I go about getting one of these?

I've found some pages that have reviews and it sounds like a pretty good deal, but are there any places on-line that sell them? I couldn't find any.

Thanks,
    Todd

10. MTD dealers

If you were to increase your budget by say, $200, you can get a Lakland Skyline 55-01 5 string for $699 from here

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    these are good ideas. also check out the conklin groove tools gt5. they're very nice as well.