Semi- (or just plain) hollowbody basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Oct 9, 2005.

1. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    hey guys!

I just went to jack casadys site and watched the into video of him playing his bass. Wow! His tone is so big and smooth sounding. Do you get that from most semi hollowbody basses?

So now I'm very interested in semi or just plain hollowbody basses such as the epiphone jack cassady and the lakland hollowbody bass. Do any of you guys have soundclips? Does the jack casady bass come in a five string version? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your time!

2. 34 Blues

34 Blues

Oct 2, 2005
    I have a Jack Casady bass & love it. Sitting down, it's not that comfortable to play due to the rather large lower bout. Standing up, a tad nose heavy, but not all that bad. Tone-wise, it's fantastic. The pup is proprietary & along with the Varitone is what sets this bass as unique.

It is based on the old Gibson Les Paul Signature bass, which is the one he's playing on the website. Mine sounds as good or through my Walk-about-scout, once I played with the EQ setting to get the right sound for the right type of music being played.

I also have a Fender American Jazz V, which I find I like the Fender neck better than the Jack neck, but each is it's own animal, & no, Jack only comes in the 4 string variety, ebony & metallic gold, mine is metallic gold. Always wanted a gold-top Les Paul when I played guitar, but never got one, so I got the Gold Jack.

Along with Frank & The Mothers, the Airplane/Hot Tuna was one of my favorite bands from the '60's & 70's. Was always blown away by the way Jack & Jorma could work together. Friend, band members, partners, none of the BS that unfortunately haunts so many other band members.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The Jack Bass does not come in a 5 string version. In my epiernce the kind of amplification greatly impacts the sonic delivery of this bass , Jack is using swr's with his.
  4. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    Usually a Baby Blue 2.

He also still uses his Versatone miked.

For recording, he also uses a tube preamp like Universal Audio
  5. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    how does the lakland hollowbody sound/play?

Btw, Im looking for a huge and somewhat aggresive sound. Would the lakland work well?
  6. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    I had one (USA) & sold it because I thought it was too "tame" for my taste. Very comfortable bass to play though.

>Im looking for a huge and somewhat aggresive sound.

You have just described a Casady.

Or maybe a Lakland if it had Fred Hammon's Dark Stars in it.
  7. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    doesnt lakland offer those darkstars on every model?
  8. basmansam

basmansam Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Yes, Lakland does offer Dark Stars on their basses. I have an early Lakland US Hollowbody, I thinks it's a superior instrument to the JC Bass. I've owned both, I thought Casady Bass had too much midrange honk. I can get an extremely aggressive sound with the Lakland Hollowbody.
    Just my opinion!!
  9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I've tried the Lakland, and it's a wonderful bass, but I'd call it warm and smooth, not aggressive.

If you want an aggressive semi-hollow bass, I strongly recommend this:

I've had one for two years, and I love it. The "large bobbin" single coil pickups are extremely hot, and with the semi-hollow resonance, it sounds absolutely huge. With flats it has a vintage vibe, and with roundwounds it cuts and growls like crazy. The single coils and 34" scale give it great clarity for a semi-hollow. It has excellent playability too, with a narrow Jazz-like nut. I LOVE the ebony fretboard.

My only beef is that with the short upper horn, it hangs differently from my Fenders, with a longer reach to first position. It looks and sounds so great that I gig with it anyway. I might look into ways to extend the strap button out for better balance.

I've posted longer reviews on here before, which you should find easily with a search.
  10. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    check out Matt

He makes semi hollow basses and his stuff is top notch....
  11. djcruse

Jun 3, 2002
    Norwood, MA
    DarkStars are available for all U.S. and Skyline 4 string Laklands except the 44-01.