Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

semi pro rig: what's best. any help appreciated.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by noely71, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Hi I’m a new member. I’m after some advice on a semi pro rig. I hope you haven't answered this quite broad question before, I looked, but i didn't find much. I've been playing for about 6 years,
    My 400 watt peavey combo has just about had it I’m looking for a bigger set up But I have no idea what’s good. I’ve been looking at GK, ampeg, EV,Hartke and loads of others. I have to admit I’ve got no idea what a pre-amp does for tone or power, or what active crossover is :meh:
    but I’m after something that packs a tight punch with a big bottom end.
    I’m thinking 4X10's, 1X15 and a big head

dunno but, what's best?

any ideas?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey and Welcome!

I won't get into specific brands as I don't know the type of music you play + I'm in the USA and have different stuff available.

BUT 'in a nutshell'...

the Pre is what generates your tone.

the power amp is what generates the volume.

an active cross over will allow just the High end to go to the power section and into a specific cab with the low having it's own path.

My preference is 12 inch or 15 inch speakers. My 'dream rig' right now is an Ashdown ABM500RC (500 watt head) pushing a Bergantino HT212 OR an EX112 and HT115... but what's best for me ain't for everyone.

3. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I play full time but I think of myself as a semi pro. I use a rack set up that can do alot, the pre-amp is the big deal for your over all sound, I use a swr interstellar as my pre-amp and can change my sound to what I need, also the the direct out works great for your mixer line, now I like the tube sound and this unit gets it right, for my power I have a swr 750 and over all its a clean sounding amp with no overdrive but lots of power, I like 10s for my enclosure so I use a swr goliath 3 to get a tight sound on stage and use the main system for my lows, I have everything in flight cases but thats just for the transport part, I put a furman pl tuner in the rack for power supply, and thats it, works great for just about eveything,

4. Weasel

Weasel

Feb 18, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    Check out www.ebs.bass.se and you won´t regret... Personally I´d recommend Fafner head, works with any cab big enough.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    pro = professional.
    someone who gets paid to do a job.
    If you do that job part time like say play in a weekend band, you are part time professional.

pro does not = someone who pays alot more for his/her equipment. As in, my equipment is pro, yours is not, because I paid 10 times as much for mine.

6. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    If you're willing to carry it, that combination provides you with lots of flexibility.

Peavey products are normally pretty loud; if you are running it pretty hard already, make sure your new rig makes enough volume. One good solution is more speakers (if you have a 2x10 combo get at least a 4x10 cab).

You might start by deciding what you don't get from your current rig, and buy to fill those deficiencies.

You'll thank yourself for keeping at least one older rig on hand- band practice is a LOT more fun when you don't have to carry an amp back and forth.