Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Semi-urgent iPod & iTunes & windows xp question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Basschair, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    It doesn't really belong in the electronics section, as it isn't bass-related, so here it goes:

I just got an iPod (I lag) and compatibility docs say windows xp home with service pack 2. The apple website says service pack 2 is recommended but not required. So, which is it? I don't want to go to service pack 2 on that computer because I've got Pro Tools set up just right and going up to service pack 2 would jack it all up. So, is anyone running iTunes on an xp system with service pack 1?

2. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I think I am - without problems. I don't remember loading SP2 on the machine that I use with my iPod.

Go ahead and try first. You can always add SP2 and then reload itunes.

3. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Cool, though if it doesn't work I'd rather go buy a new computer than mess up my current Pro Tools setup by adding sp2.

Anyone know for sure?

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I don't have an iPod by my girl does and she uses it on my non-SP2 XP machine without problem.

5. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I'm almost positive that I was at one time running iTunes on an SP1 PC.

But then I switched to a Macintosh. :cool: :hyper:

6. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    :D

Yeah, I'm seriously considering it.

7. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    Not to get off topic but . . .
    DO IT! It will be one of the greatest decisions you'll ever make (at least, for me it was).

8. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

I use both.

9. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    That's what I'd end up doing: I like both and don't mind going from one platform to the other. Convincing the wife that another computer is needed may be a bit touchy.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Set a system restore point to right before you install SP2. Install SP2, and see what happens. If you don't like the results, run the system restore utility to restore it back to right before you installed SP2.

All of the PC's in my home, and at work have SP2 so I don't know how it would work without it.

-Mike

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My PC is a laptop, and I do most of my web-nerding on it and all of my work/school stuff. It's much easier to deal with the technologically retarded when I'm sharing their platform...You wouldn't believe the number of professors I've had to walk through opening a PDF attachment. I finally ended up meeting them half way and sending PC word/excel files when needed.

All my sound/graphics stuff is on my ol' mac.

12. I'm not so sure that SP2 does anything. I've been running WinXP with no service pack for a while with no issues. Just install iTunes. If it doesn't work (which probably won't happen) then it doesn't work.

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Last time I had it installed on my laptop it messed up a bunch of my software. Until it's bullet proof it's gonna stay away from me.

14. You will be fine.
    I use Windows XP professional, and until Tuesday was running on SP1. Itunes ran fine with SP1, and I did not have any issues (Itunes 5 on the other hand is ****e!).
    I had to load SP2 because of work, and I have not had any issues yet.