Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

seminal recordings of Latin jazz

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Apr 25, 2002.

1. This should probably be in DB, but whatever...

What are some of the seminal recordings of Latin jazz? I'm giving a 10-15 minute presentation in my Spanish class on how Hispanic forms influenced musicos estadounidenses de jazz; aside from the obvious Dizzy Gillespie/Chano Pozo, Jelly Roll Morton, and Mongo Santamaria touchstones, what else should I be looking for?

I remember BP recommending the Cachao album Cuban Jam Session for a good introduction to Cuban styles. I'm also gonna try to snag copies of the Buena Vista Social Club and Calle 54 soundtracks.

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Cachao - the Master Sessions

3. Good, good. Keep 'em coming.

4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Does Brazilian Jazz count?

5. Probably not, although I'm going to mention that the rise of the bossa nova and samba forms attracted attention to Hispanic styles.

Honestly, it all comes from Africa anyway.

6. Getz and Gilberto...I can't remember the album title but it's the one with Girl From Ipanema.

7. Problem is, that's Brazilian. I don't think my prof will mind too much if I talk a bit about the bossa nova, but that's not a Hispanic form.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Grupo Folklorico Y Experimental Nuevayorquino-Concepts In Unity...
    In short, "The S***".
    This was the first Latin-Jazz album ever reviewed in Down Beat mag; originally a 2-record set, it's now available(I think)on a single cd.

A sequel, Grupo Folklorico Y Experimental Nuevayorquino-Lo Dice Todo is also out there.

Some of NYC's best Latin-Jazzers 'jammed' on these historic 'underground' recordings-
    Jerry & Andy Gonzalez
    Manny Oquendo
    Oscar Hernandez
    Ruben Blades
    etc...

Check out www.descarga.com for details; Descarga also stocks those Cuban Jam Session cds with Cachao.

Also, anything by Jerry Gonzalez & The Fort Apache Band; you MUST check these guys out! They are equally adept at both types of music, Latin & Jazz. ;)

On a tangent-
    I recently picked up a 3-cd set called Wildflowers...experimental '60s Free Jazz recorded 'live' at Sam Rivers' loft. Very similiar, IN VIBE, to the aformentioned Grupo Folklorico discs.

9. Eh, what do I know? I'm a dumbass when it comes to Latin/Brazilian/African/Asian etc. music.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    One of my favourite Fania All-Stars' disc is Rock-Soul-Jazz...guests include Billy Cobham & Jan Hammer. Sounds like an early Santana disc with no vocals. ;)

11. Hoeffentlich. :p

I'm trying to only focus on the Spanish-speaking countries--it's for Spanish class, after all.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I went to Cornell's music library, and sure enough all their books on Latin jazz were checked out, including the Scott Yanow one I'd heard about...damn.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I can easily morph that into "Ferro Lad"
    (DC Comics, late '60s, Ferro Lad was a member of The Junior Justice League Of America).

Ferro Lad-
    Scott Yanow's book, Afro-Cuban Jazz is sitting my local Barnes & Noble; I'd imagine your local book seller probably has it, too.
    (BTW, Yanow is a 'regular' over at www.jazzcorner.com).

13. Rockin'. I can't seem to find the phone number for the Ithaca store and I'm not gonna waste a trip up there if they don't have it, so I'll order it tonight and have it overnighted here by FedEx for Saturday delivery if it can't be delivered by tomorrow morning. I can have my parents eat the cost, I suppose :rolleyes:

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have a compilation which has a lot of Cuban/Jazz crossovers, including Machito - it says Machito led what is popularly reagrded as the very first commercially successful Afro -Cuban orchestra from about 1949 - one of their classic tracks is "Tin tin deo" which was originally written and recorded by the fgreat Cuban conguero Chano Pozo for Machito's 1948 Charlie Parker session.

But I'm a bit confused here - I don't see Cuban as Hispanic music at all? I would be thinking of somthing like Flamenco? I have seen Jazz/Spanish crossovers in Jazz groups in the UK - also when I have visited Spain, I have seen Jazz groups - it's very popular there!

So - there's a fairly famous bass guitar player who plays "flamenco - style" - but I can't remember his name or band?

15. In the Western Hemisphere, any Spanish-speaking nation is considered "Hispanic."

16. The definition (according to Websters Online) is:

17. I'm familiar with that definition as well, but I have often heard the term applied to Latin American countries that aren't Brazil, and inhabitants of Spanish-speaking American countries as "los hispanos."

18. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    If you're including Puerto-Rican salsa /jazz
    (Hey I hate labels!)

Do not forget the great Eddie Palmieri
    His recordings go back a ways, and his recent
    stuff kicks some a$$- Great fusion of jazz. latin -
    salsa rhythm.

Also- Tito Puente & Peste Escovedo.

19. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This is going way back to the mid-fifties, but Zavier Kugat and Peres Prado (Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White) both helped bring "Hispanic" music to popularity in the U.S. Yes, Desi Arnaz, too.

20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

This would be my understanding as well - but I suppose what I was really questioning was this term being applied to music rather than people.

So - I have loads of books about/CDs of this type of music and have never heard this term applied in this context. So - the music is often generalised as "latin" or even "latino" music, but never as "hispanic" music. My view is that this term could be applied to people who speak spanish, but not the music.