1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seminal rock albums of the 60s &70s

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Yonni, Nov 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    So I’m reconnecting with my youth and early music tastes. Recently I’ve been listening to Cream and today I remembered Spirit’s 12 Dreams of Dr Sardonicus (now on my phone ready for my commute to work).

This made me think, what do people think are the most influential rock albums of that period?

Influential could mean influential on them or on the music scene in general. I’m really thinking up to mid 70s and pre-punk.

I’m hoping to discover some gems I missed and some new stuff to play, so go wild...

2. pht2356

pht2356

Apr 28, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Humble pie @ the fillmore live

wesonbass, Evert, Rock O and 27 others like this.
  3. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    A band I’ve never really listened to. I’ll give them a go. I was born in ‘66 in the UK and my parents were more rock n roll and Jazz, so I have some gaps in my knowledge.

Rezdog likes this.
  4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Beatles-Revolver(Sgt. Pepper will be the usual knee-jerk response, but this is the real tipping point in their career and artistry...there hadn’t been anything like “TNK” before)

Beach Boys-Pet Sounds(breathtaking depth of orchestration and introspection, what more can you say?)

Bob Dylan-Highway 61(the full commitment to electricity, and the the full transition to lyrical abstraction)

Velvet Underground and Nico(not only sketching out what would eventually come 10 years later, it also was a wake-up call that the world was a complicated, sometimes less-than-pretty place. Practically each song served as a template for multiple bands and subgenres)

Jimi Hendrix Experience-Are You Experienced?(There was a before and after in terms of rock guitar playing. This is the line of demarcation)

David Bowie-The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust(the 70’s start here)

5. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    All great albums Michedelic. Have to confess that the only Beatles I ever really listened to was the White album. But then again I heard almost nothing but Beatles and Elvis on the radio for my first 10 years. Have to give Pet Sounds another go. When I worked in a record shop I tried to “get it”, but maybe it was more about how ground breaking it was at the time? Bowie, Hendrix and Dylan have all had a place in my life, and the Velvets too, but not so much. I’ll add them to today’s play list.

pht2356 likes this.
  6. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    Pre-1976:

7. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Stooges! Good one, it’s in the playlist.

Son of Wobble and G-Z like this.
  8. G-Z

G-Z My other account is a Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Straya
    Never much on them myself, but MC5 would also have to qualify as pre-76 influential.

-Asdfgh-, Rock O, Fluid Power and 4 others like this.
  9. Pulverizor

Pulverizor

Jun 14, 2018
    New Zealand
    CCR - Green River
    Black Sabbath's self titled
    Deep Purple - Fireball

10. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Big Brother and the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills
    Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow
    James Gang - Rides Again

11. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Listening to Humble Pie has reminded me of Mountain.

CCR
    BBatHC
    JA
    James Gang
    are all bands I’ve meant hear more if but never got round to.

Purple and Sabbath would always be on the list along with the Who and Zeppelin

-Asdfgh- and pht2356 like this.
  12. Deep Purple-Machine Head
    Pink Floyd-Dark Side of The Moon
    Grand Funk- Red Album
    The Who-Tommy and Quadrophenia
    Santana-Abraxus
    Led Zeppelin 1 and 2. :D

saabfender, Turock, -Asdfgh- and 14 others like this.
  13. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Let It Bleed, Beggars Banquet -Rolling Stones, Tommy - The Who, Layla - Derek and The Dominoes, Led Zeppelin II, Truth - Jeff Beck, Sgt. Pepper's - Beatles, Fresh Cream - Cream.

14. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
  15. "The Guess Who" Live at the Paramount is one of many that come to mind. 220px-Live_at_the_Paramount.

16. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Way too many to list, but a couple of the big ones:

Are you Experienced - Hendrix
    Sgt. Pepper's - the Beatles
    Fragile - Yes
    Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
    Led Zeppelin I - Led Zeppelin

I think it's hard to understand unless you were around at the time. From the mid-60's to the early 70's, it seemed like every time you turned around you were smacked with some new, great music. Today, you turn on the radio and it just seems like you're ears are being smacked, but not in a good way.

17. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Had to look it up:

sem·i·nal
    /ˈsemənl/
    adjective
    1. 1.
      (of a work, event, moment, or figure) strongly influencing later developments.
      "his seminal work on chaos theory"
      synonyms: influential, formative, groundbreaking, pioneering, original, innovative; More

2. 2.
      relating to or denoting semen.
    Now I'm even more confused. If #1, I go with "Aqualung". If #2, anything by Cream or 10cc.

Riis

18. pbassjbass

pbassjbass

Jun 21, 2013
    Maryland
    Jeff Beck, Truth

The Band

Led Zepplin

19. Mannyinnewyork

Mannyinnewyork

Sep 28, 2016
    New York
    Astral Weeks - Van Morrison. There’s nothing else like it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  20. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    A few new ones for me - Grand Funk and The Guess Who (think I’ve only ever heard American Woman).

I’ve always liked Crimson but struggle with LTIA