1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Semour Duncan MUSIC MAN

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Apr 10, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    is the Semour Duncan MUSIC MAN pickup active or passive.

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The pickup itself is passive. Active PICKUPS are rare.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Which isn't to say the Duncan MM doesn't sound great with an active preamp. But it's *very* hot; great for dynamic slapping and aggressive rock, less suitable for mellower music.

4. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    it say it has a batty clip what is it
    i am talking about that package they sell it the mm pickup and controls. so this wouLd be great for funk right thats what i play alot.

5. Would a MM pikcup work without the active electronics? Would it sound good?

6. According to a guy who reviewed a different preamp for the MM stingray at BGRA the MM just run passive sounds great. I dont know why it shouldnt sound good that way too. I do know that I like the combination pup and preamp on my sterling which is plain stock stuff.

7. DUBZ

DUBZ

Aug 28, 2000
    It can run perfict as a passive,the only difference an active gives is the volume boost & more attack (grind,brightness etc),in other word you get a bit of extra growl.I used to use an active bass & the tone was awesome but it was unreliable & broke down a couple of times(once in a gig)as well as going through endless batteries,im back to passive basses now & i use an old Fender P & a Fernandes J style bass & they both do an awesome job for me so i dont miss the old active bass.

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    my 8 string has a custom SD music man style pickup on it (8 strings wide :D) and it sounds killer. that pickup has an incredible tone, and a very high output. i have it wired to a 3 way selector, and it gets the tonal diversity that the MM pups are known for. very cool.