1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

send/return for ONE pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by oZZma, Dec 1, 2018.

1. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    I have a veeeeery basic pedalboard and the only modulation pedal I own is a MXR flanger (Ring mod coming soon...)
    I tried both solutions before and after distortion (with pedals), and after the dirt it sounds MUCH better
    Fact is, I'm not using distortion pedals anymore (except for a fuzz), I just distort with the 2nd head (Engl Screamer 50), soooo... should I set a cable mess to use only ONE pedal with the head effects loop to make it sound good?
    I don't like this solution :(
    Any alternatives?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If the flanger sounds good in the effects loop, then you don't need a cable "mess"; just velcro the pedal to the top of your amp, and run short cables. Whether the flanger will sound good in the loop depends mainly on the level (amplitude) of the signal coming from the loop send.

Zbysek and oZZma like this.
  3. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Do the rest of your pedals sound good in the loop too? Can reduce the number of cables you need if you just run the whole board as send/return.

If you just don’t like the logistics of an effects loop to begin with not sure what to tell you. (I also hate it but don’t have any pedals I think need to be run that way). Maybe stick a wireless unit in the loop?

oZZma likes this.
  4. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    But I need to engage/disengage the pedal, if it's on the top of the amp I can't do that :/

5. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    Unfortunately I can't move the whole board to the effects loop because at least the ABY switcher has to be placed before the preamp... So in any case I would have double cables.

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Use your hand, during a rest beat. It only takes a second.

oZZma likes this.
  7. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    Dunno... I can't see me being fast enough, rest beats in my band's tracks are really short... But thanks a lot anyways for the suggestion :)

8. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    You could use two stereo to R/L Y cables, and one TRS cable to reduce the cables to one.

You could mount the pedal on the ground near your amp.

oZZma likes this.
  9. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    I have to study this... I'm not sure I understand how this layout should work (I'm a beginner :bag:)
    Thanks a lot for the tip! Now I figure out :bookworm:

10. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    If that' where it sounds good, then place it there. There are solutions to simplify the cable mess, like custom cables with 2 jaks on each side or even something to wrap around the cables (sorry but I don't know the name of it) so that it is more tidy.

oZZma likes this.
  11. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    Yeah in the end I just want to do what is better sound-wise... I'm not fond of the idea of "complicating" my set up with this effects loop thing but I can find some way to keep the cables tidy. Anyways that's not my only concern... I am already splitting the signal in two with the ABY switcher, I hope having additional "not strictly necessary" cable lenght will not further degrade or weaken the signal...

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    You could have someone custom-modify your amp so that its loop can be bypassed with a footswitch. Then you could have someone custom build a pedal that includes the ABY function and the bypass function.

oZZma likes this.
  13. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    My guitarist soldered a multicore with 5 1/4" jacks and placed a patchbox on his board. He runs input, output, send, return and Amp fs through one cable. Quite neat. With 18ft cable he paid around 80 bucks

oZZma likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just run it in line and call it good.

cheapbasslovin and oZZma like this.
  15. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    :smug:

16. I've spent time trying to do what you're doing. In the end it's just a lot of heartache for minimal benefit, IME. If it's really important, use a couple 6 foot cables and just put it in front of your amp, but I doubt it's that necessary.

oZZma likes this.
  17. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    Or I could just go back to use a distortion in front of the flanger :meh:
    I tried to use it before the amp but this way you can barely hear any modulation at all.
    I wonder if it will be the same with the ring modulator, I'll find out soon enough.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018