1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Send/Return - I am confused

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by -=DanAtkinson=-, Mar 12, 2008.

1. I'm still not quite clear on the whole Send/Return thing on my amps. Let's say I have two combo amps. One I like the tone of, one I don't. They both have Send/Return. Can I run them in parallel, with the preamp of the "good" amp driving both?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Depends. Different manufacturers design their sends/returns differently, there is no universal standard. Based on what's "most common", I would say taking the send of one amp and not returning the signal back to the return jack would break the connection to that amp's power section. But it's worth a try.

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    OK what do you have? My experience is that the "return" jack breaks the connection to the power amp, not the send. It's not that hard conceptually. You send the signal out of the "good" amp into the other amp by taking a sheilded guitar cable from the "send" of the "good" amp to the "return" of the "bad" amp. That should do what you want.

But it may not sound good. If the "bad" amp sounds not-so-good because of the speaker, cabinet design, underpowered power amp, etc. you still won't have a good sound.

But try it!

jte