Sending a bass abroad

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blamusic, Oct 1, 2005.

1. blamusic

Mar 25, 2004
    Hey all!

What do you think is the best/cheapest/reliable way to send a bass abroad (e.g. from the States to Europe)? Are there better ways then Fedex and UPS?

2. I shipped a Fender Jazz in it's case to Holland via the USPS airmail service. It took like 10 days and coat around $50 if I remember correctly.
  3. Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    In my opinion, one of the best way to send a bass abroad is via Fedex fully insured economy air shipping. Of corse it is expensive (around 160 $) but it is realy safe.
    It seems that Fedex take better care of air shipment than Fedex ground.
    Already received 2 bass from US, one from Carvin 4 years ago and recently my Roscoe from Bass Northwest and never get any problems. One of the important point is to be very picky in the packaging :
    1 try to get a box which is larger than your hard shell case so that small ding in the box would not touch directly the instrument.
    2 use a lot of cardboard at the bottom and top inside your box to realy firmly block your case which should not moove back and forth in the box.

Put a large sticker "this side up" so that the parcell will not be handed upside down. It seems that Fedex delivery men respect this statment in here, at least in France.

Hope this help, cannot comment on US postal cause I only received small parcells (strings, strap...) with that methode.

4. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    It cost me twice that to send a trombone from canada to california
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I reccomend sending it in a hardshell case and put that case inside of a box. Label "Fragile" and "This side up" like stated above.
  6. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    If you translate "Fragile" into shipping company terms it means "Throw me around with reckless disregard please"