1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sending basses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by punkbassistfc, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

Just wondering what the best way to send a bass interstate is? Cheers heaps

2. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    With a catapult and a giant target painted on the ground. :D

Seriously, though... If you got a hardcase for it, stick it in a box and send it UPS. It'll be fine.

3. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    :p :D :hyper:

4. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    FedEx ground.

5. Sorry, im in Australia. And it will be in a soft case.

6. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Erm...

The catapult is still an option...

I'd say get a lot of them packing bubble thingies, stick the bass in a box, in soft case, wrapped in said packing bubble thingies, and send via the australian equivalent of UPS or FedEx...

7. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    FedEx serves Australia, I have relatives there and they use FedEx all the time.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I only ship basses USPS at this point. about $80 coast to coast the next day.

soft case in a box packed with bubble wrap.

9. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    It all depends on just how soft the soft case is. I shipped my 55-94 Deluxe in its gig bag in a box. Of course that padding is close to 2 inches thick.

10. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Lots of bubble wrap and rolled up newspaper for protection. A good sturdy box outside and it should be fine.

11. Shouldn't this be in the humour section?

;) :D

12. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    im aussie too; iv sent numerous basses and usualy I wrap it in bubble wrap then cut up a few cardboard boxxes and make it as sturdy as possible.

i'd say wrap the bass in bubble wrap and make sure it cant move at all inside the gig bag then cut up some boxxes and do the same or put it inside a actual bass box from a music shop and send it.

depending on the post office u go to (and if u can sweet talk postal workers) they might send it for ~$30 but its at their discression as to if they'l send it or not (due to size)

if not just pack it and send it via courier; best of luck to you.

13. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Hehe... I dunno what the hubbub is, really. I've never had bad luck with UPS...

Then again most of the stuff I've gotten shipped has had a record for being absolute tanks, so I guess that figures.

14. The last few times I've shipped UPS or had gear shipped to me by UPS it has been late arriving. When I call them I'm always told it has been lost and a claim must be filed. Most of the time the package arrives a few days later. No one ever calls me back from the claim department.
    They informed me one time that my Sadowsky had been lost/stolen in transport as reported by the driver. While on the phone filing the claim the bass arrived.

15. mjolnir

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Yup, that kind of thing has never happened to me.

Maybe UPS in Canada is to blame?