Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sending Fralin J's back for Overwinding. But how much % though??!!?? Help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Aug 23, 2005.

1. So I've decided to send my pickups back to Lindy Fralin to have him overwind them for a little more, yes 'Growl'. But I'm not too sure on how much of an overwind I want. 2%, 3%, 4%, 5% ect.... Anyone?

What I'm looking to do is add more growl, and I believe overwinding will give me more mids/bottom = more possible growl, right? Well here's the deal, I would like to keep the pickups from getting muddy, but I would like to get a more growly/textured tone. How much overwinding should I tell Lindy? I'll no doubt talk about it with him, and see what he suggest, but I want to see what you guys think as well.

Thanks much!

2. Buy a new set of Fralins instead. Ask Lindy to recommend the amount of over winding based on what you tell him.

Sell the old pickups or keep them in case you don't like the Fralins. Modified pickups have 0 value. A stock set of Fralins can be resold for most of your investment.

3. Thanks for the advise, but I'm not going to be purchasing a new set, I would like a rewind. Anyone?

4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think Lindy's standard overwind is 5%, so I would just go with that. I assume he feels that's the maximum overwind that preserves the essential tone.

I thought about an overwind when I ordered Fralin's Split Jazz pickups a few months ago, but went stock, and I think they have plenty of growl. But more certainly couldn't hurt!

5. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I had a set of 66' Fender Mustang pickups rewound by Lindy to 5% over about a month ago. It took 6 weeks to get them and cost $112 fwiw. I can't compare them to the originals cause they were already destroyed when I got the bass. I had never heard a Mustang but read somewhere that the original pups were a bit weak so that's why I went with the overwind, for a little more output. I wouldn't say that they 'growl' but rather a nice clean sound. Very similar to a p bass since that's essentially what they are. You will likely have different results with a j/j set.
    A talk with Lindy will be your best bet toward your decision.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what if you don't like the results?

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Overwinding doesn't make a pickup "hotter."

Overwinding emphasizes mids at the expense of highs.

8. I will probably end up sending the back to Lindy to do less overwindings untill we get em' right. I have other pickups to use in the mean time.

I have special "Custom" Lindy Fralins, the have raised pole pieces on the A & D string, and are completely shielded. I purchased them from Mike Lull. They are the PUPS he uses in his basses.

I would have to buy another set from Mike Lull, send em' back to Lindy ect ect..... Might as well just use the ones I have and send em' back to Lindy.

DavidM, any advise on % overturns though?

9. Sounds like you should just find some pickups that fit the sound you are looking for, per others comments on this thread. Between the cost of the rewinding, shipping, hassle, etc., you could virtually buy an additional set.

10. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    I had Jacochops rewind my bridge Fralin J with the owner (name escapes me, I think his name is Larry) of Aero p/us. That pu became the #1 Aero MP 181 and it IS the most incredible, growlly, versitile pu I have ever played. Together with just a bit of the stock neck Fralin, and 95% of the tone rolled off (all passive), my Cote Continuum Jazz has an absolutely incredible voice that stands absolutely unscathed in any mix. I recommend you PM Jacochops and see if you can get the exact info on that Fralin rewind.

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no, sorry. I buy pickups that sound the way I like them as they are.

Nothing against overwinding, and no judgement on anyone who does, but it's yet another variable that could drive me crazy in the quest for the perfect tone.

Hope it works out for you

12. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I think it probably does, in theory at least (more turns on coil = greater induced p.d., all other things being equal). Whether or not you'd actually notice is another matter, of course.

13. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

here's my review on 2% overwound.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123790&page=3&pp=20

With 75+ sets of pups behind me, unless money is no object and you like craps (or if you just have got to know), I'll go with the masses - read some reviews and go elsewhere.

I don't see much point in rewinds other than some freak pup that you have a match to copy. Chances are if you had a pup with a great tone to copy, you couldn't nail it with a rewind anyway and there are few sounds that have ever been put out that can't be found new or used in a pup today. You could buy whatever Fralins for the rewind cost and have both sets of pups. I don't see any more certainty for tone in a rewind than selection through reviews of known pups. And there's always the possibility of likeing the re-winds even less than the originals.

Personally, if Frailin himself didn't question the plan, it would arouse concern in me. What's he going to rewind for you that he doesn't already have?

Or am I missing something here?

But if I were talking to a woman, I would skip all that and say: Tell Failin what you're after and let him advise you on the rewind.

Update: oops, that was 2% underwound not overwound. The rest looks up to snuff from what I can tell.

14. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Good point (+1). I guess I just got real REAL lucky
    Good luck on the hunt.
    S