1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sending Post FX Signal with DI Box

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Scalestein, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Scalestein

Scalestein

Dec 6, 2005
    I've got a compressor and an EQ in my effects loop that greatly enhances my sound and I would like to sent the post effected signal to the board. Unfortunately the DI on my amp doesn't work (buzzy/fuzzy). Before I got the effects I was just using a DI box between my bass and amp. Where is the best place to put the DI to include the effects? Between the effects and the 'fx return'?

2. depends where the effects work best. some pedals want line level through the fx loop, while others are just fine in the main input. i run a sonic maximizer, and a big muff fuzz straight through the DI box into the input of my SVT same as you were running it. Sounds great through the PA

3. Scalestein

Scalestein

Dec 6, 2005
    I'll be running a rackmounted compressor and eq which right now I run through the loop. I haven't tried them at the front of the chain.

4. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    Have a similar question bout my VT bass pedal,
    run my bass into VT then to input,not sure if FOH
    is getting the VT signal through DI of my GK 700rb:confused:

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You could always try a standalone DI box as the last item in your effects loop, after the effects. Radial JDI or Countryman Type 85 are excellent choices.

6. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Yes, you are getting your VT sound in the DI. That's the signal that's available at the input of the amp. The onboard DI can't take away something that your presenting at that point in your signal chain.

+1 to this.

7. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    ...fuzz and a full range PA don't mix. If you are picking up the signal after your fuzz unit, you may want a filter of some sort like an EQ, a low pass filter, a crossover - or use a DI like HK's redbox which has speaker sim filter built in.

If you source of fuzz is already filtered it will probably sound OK.

8. I run bass>wireless>tuner>fuzz>maximizer>di>amp

the maximizer evens out the fuzz a bit, then we've got a 16 channel yamaha board and my channel is fully EQ'd and compressed. it's just to get a little more clean throw from the stage without ever turning my SVT past 1/2 (any more than that is brutalizing).

at any rate, best bet would be to try both setups and see which sounds better through your PA

9. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    The 882 sonic maximizer likes to have line level to get the most out of them, guessing yours is 382 which can be driven by instrument level buts says its nominal input is -10db (more than instrument level)

I would do it this way....bass, wireless, fuzz, amp, effect out to maximizer, DI, then back into amp.

I know the 882 has LED's and have tested it inserted after the pre amp on a mixer. It did not have the same effect when under driven and as the pre amp was turned up so the Mazimizer was at 0 level input the effect was much better and also how the vendor said it was designed to be set up.

(Having been in the music sales biz the vendors provide training on the best use of their gear)

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    imho, loops absolutely suck for anything but defeating a head's preamp. even if it's designed to go into a loop, i run all my effects in-line. so i'd go bass > fx > di. well, actually i'd go bass > fx > amp > mic in front of cab and pfft the di ;)

11. mikeddd

mikeddd

Nov 12, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    The mic'd cab sound should always be in the mix, IMO. There's a reason why most guitar amps don't have a DI out; you don't get the complete, total sound that way. All MHO, of course. :D DI for bass is definitely convenient but nothing sounds as good as a well-mic'd cab.

12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Yeah, that certainly blows Soundudes® arguments about insisting on a DI for bass, doesn't it? :mad::spit: