Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sending Preamp to Live Mixer: Unbalanced?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thejohnkim, Dec 11, 2004.

1. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    hey guys, this isnt exactly a studio question, and i tried a search with no quick results that applied, but i figured this would be the most applicable forum.

as y ocuan see in my sig i own an SWR Interstellar Overdrive. We're trying to use it as a preamp straight to mixing console then out to the PA. so its Bass -> preamp -> mixer -> PA

the mixer is a mackie 24 channel, dont quite remember the exact model number.

in any case I was wondering if there was a diret way of connecting the preamp to teh mixing console while preserving the abillity to use the entire tone shaping circuit, such as the eq controls, drive, and blend knob for the tube/ss circuits.

in the manual there is a xlr balanced DI output, which takes teh signal from the first tube stage (a single 12ax7 tube) "electronically balances it" and send it out, so its essentially the straight feed, not what i want. this is controlled solely by a front panel pad knob

then there is a 1/4" tuner/unbalanced DI out, which says it can gbe used to drive an unbalanced recording input (do mixers ahve these? because all the other instruments are plugged into DI boxes, and then the rest of the inputs are mics)

another balanced XLR, but this one is controlled by the fron panel master volume control, but i dont nkow if thats the only difference between this and the previous xlr balanced output, but they mention this can be mixed at a console with the next onbalanced output. they mentio nit has a +24db potential and should be plugged into a line-in

then its the last 1/4" unbalanced output that they say can be mixed wit hthe previous xlr output, and is also controleld by the front panel master volume.

my question is how i would connect the mixer and preamp using an unblanced signal. should these go into a special input on the mixer, or should we plug the 1/4" into a di box and then xlr to xlr to the mixing console to be able to use it as a preamp live for the bass guitar.

d: does this make sense? :help:

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    When I used to have an IOD, I would always record using the balanced line out XLR. I never bothered involving the XLR to 1/4" adapter that I would have needed for running it to my mixer's line in and it was fine.

If you're giving your sound person a feed from your IOD, you really ought to do the XLR to 1/4" converter though, if for no other reason than to keep the sound person from accidentally sending phantom power to your IOD. According to SWR this can damage it.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm going to move this to "Amps" because I think the guys that hang out ther are more likely to be able to help you with this one.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the second xlr shoudl have all of the tone shaping in it. swr's master volume comes last in the signal chain. you'll probably have to keep the master volume very low if you plug that into a mic level input of the mixer.

5. mnadelin

mnadelin

Apr 6, 2003
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I don't really see why the balanced input wouldn't work. I've run balanced inputs into mackie 16 channel boards before. Anyway, if you have any more problems, you might want to consider just purchasing a DI box and running your bass directly into that, which then splits off the signal to the console and the bass amp.