Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sending Songs to Bandmates... How?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pstone_foo, Sep 4, 2005.

1. pstone_foo

pstone_foo

Apr 13, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Is there a better way to share music files (MP3's) with your bandmates? I record our practices on digital 8 track, but need to get the recordings out to the other guys in the band. E-mail is way too slow for attaching files (even though I have cable), and Limewire is not too reliable.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. www.slsknet.org its a p2p prog but i use it for sharing files with my friends (specific files) all the time. Or get an instant messenger.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I just use direct connect over AIM.

4. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    I run a file server to get around it.
    Plenty to choose from.
    Waste, FTP, web server, etc.

5. pstone_foo

pstone_foo

Apr 13, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Thanks everyone for posting a reply. Great call on "YouSendIt", Geezerman.... pretty sweet.

6. Personally, I just use Yahoo Briefcase. I've set up a personal briefcase account and upload mp3's from practice a day or so after the practice. Create a folder "band files" or something, set it for public viewing, and that's that. No one has to sign up for anything, pay any money, etc. The other band members don't even need a yahoo account. However, you are limited to 15 megabyte uploads at a time, but that's a pretty long mp3. I have something like 600mb of storage space - plenty for an average practice.

7. If you don't like the limits on yousendit.com (you can have a few downloads from it before it gets taken down) then try http://www.rapidshare.de/

8. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    load them on like myspace or purevolume? and just change them, and don't tell anyone you have a pv or myspace

9. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I run an Apache server on my Windows XP box, on a different port to get around my cable provider's blocking of port 80. I use an .htaccess file in the directory so that no one else can get into the directory and steal our files. So far it works great. Plus I don't have to upload anything.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If your network provider gives you storage for webpages, just post your mp3s there.

Most network providers also support FTP, even AOL.