Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sending your overdriven tube amp signal to PA: mic or DI?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by panazza, Feb 7, 2006.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    I just bought a traynor YBA200... nice sound, nice overdrive...

what would you guys do to send the overdriven signal to the PA?

using the amp DI would bypass the whole power amp, so the tone would be different, and I think a bit ugly, because I always keep the preamp gain on 10, and it sounds too fuzzy without the power amp and the cabinet.

using a mic, I fear I could not have enough definition, and I know that the best way would be to mix the mic and a clean DI signal, but I cannot do this, mostly because I think soundguys would hate me :rollno:

someone suggested a hughes and kettner redbox or something similar, but I don't know how the speaker simulation thing works on bass (how would a guitar speaker simulator handle my lowB?)

any suggestions?

thanks...:D

2. I personally do not like using the DI output. I find that using a mic has way more character and a closer reprsentation of your stage sound than the DI. If you are playing with the gain on 10 I assume you are in some sort of rock band...if that's the case then I do not think anyone in your audience is going to complain that the bass player in not using a DI. Besides if the soundman is any good he could definetly EQ the mic signal to compensate for the loss of "definition". But like I said if you're playing rock who cares about definition as long as its loud :bassist:

I think sometimes we musicians worry too much about tone. I can understand if you're in the studio but 90% of our live audiences would not be able to tell if you're playing through a tube amp or SS amp much less a DI or a MICed signal. I bet most would not be able to tell the diffrence between a J bass, Thunderbird or a 6-string Carl Thompson...I would bet that most of us here at TB would not bea ble to tell what kind of amp or bass or how the signal is being sent to the PA is in a full blown concert. I also have to admit most people dont really pay attention to the bass. But I think that's what drew most of us to the instrument in the first place

Stop worrying, life is too short, just play.

Sorry about the rant I just had to vent. And I don't mean to direct this at you personally Panazza, but bass players and musicians in general.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    some DI's like the Avalon U5 and Countryman DI boxes have a "speaker in", which lets you run a second out from your amp's speaker out right into the DI. works like a charm. just remember to set the DI box in that mode. ;)