1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Senior year, but what then?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jiggybass, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Okay, so, I am in my last year of high school. W00t.

Only one problem. I really don't have any interests, or really, any that would lead me to applying for University, or College. I can't seem to gain any interest in anything that would be worthwhile. Sure, I'd love to play bass for a living, with my band. But really now, what are the chances of that. We are so out of the mainstream, what chances have we got?

I should be excited for the future, and pushing hard to do the best I can, but yet, I completely lack the motivation. :meh: :confused:

Anyone else like this? Or what is my problem? Why can't I have any motivation?

I'm so confused :(

2. Ohhh........you should get a crappy job, it will change your mind pretty fast about how things are. Then you will want to get a career rather than cleaning tables or frying stuff.

3. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    I already fry things and clean tables, lol.

I just can't seem to find any interest in anything.

That's not good, right?

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    What has motivated you to get through highschool? If we knew the answer to that, we could help you understand things better, I think.

5. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Hmm, that's a good question. Not much has really motivated me. I think I just went to school because what else was there to do? What choice did I have?

I never liked school, dread going there, dread the fact that there's still one more semester.

I think it's really just because I have great friends, that I managed to stay above passing grades, although not by much :meh:

I am so confused about everything right know, I don't even know what the point is, really :meh:

6. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    How into playing bass are you? Perhaps look into a music major? And the field of music isn't just limited to playing; you can go into music/sound recording, music industry/business, etc.

I know a lot of universities don't make you declare a major until your sophomore year. You should take some liberal arts courses and explore your options. There's so much to do out there.

And remember, a majority of people don't have a career in what they majored in. The degree looks really sharp on your resume, and proves that you can handle critical thinking and problem solving.

Also, try to expand your interests and don't limit yourself to just one. I joined the police explorers (like cadets) in freshman year of high school, and am currently majoring in Criminal Justice. My goal was to become a cop; unfortunately, earlier this year I was diagnosed with a heart condition that would make me ineligible to become one. On the bright side, I am also an EMT, so the certification helps at least ensure a job opportunity. I'm looking into switching colleges/majors now, so it will be interesting.

Good luck!

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I would try a semester of college with the goal to make a bunch of friends and get straight D's. No kidding. Just get in there because the people you will meet is so much fun, and some class where you least expect it, will catch your interest. If you have the means, just give it a shot.

8. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Thanks for the help. I will no doubt be trying out some colleges, and hopefully find something there. Though, I'm going to move far away from everyone I know. I want a completely new start. Life is good here, But still. I just have this huge nagging feeling, that I need to leave. Strangely enough.

:)

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Go to a Community/Junior college and take classes that you've never taken or thought of taking. Things like science, art, foreign language, etc. Hopefully you'll find something you like then.

Don't shoot for straight D's. The grades stay with you for years, so do as well as you can.

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Great. College takes a while to get used to, at least when I went. You get some person you don't know as your dorm mate, and that can be weird, especially if you don't have anything in common. But after a month or so, you will have made friends with the guys down the hall, etc. You won't believe how much fun it is. You have to get up and go to class though, no matter how much you partied the night before (if you're into that). But classes are full of new people to meet and sometimes very cool professors and teachers that you wouldn't have had in high school.

11. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    True, plus, I don't really get hangovers at all, So can party all night, and still get to class fine.

I like meeting new people, especially when you click quickly, and have so many past experiences to share, and learn from each other. Those are some great life lessons.

I think I'm going to move somewhere in Quebec, or B.C. I like speaking french, I like snow, and I like Quebec's legal drinking age (18).

Thanks Skel :)

12. I was like that for a long time. I graduated high school in June of 04 and until this past summer I did practically nothing. No college, only working shi**y part-time jobs once in a while.
    It was pathetic and I know it. Eventually I had enough of my own crap, I got a decent job (still not that good) and I have 2 very good jobs (potential careers) in the works, one of which is being hooked up by a friend of mine who works at a hospital.
    I'll probably go to college this summer too.

You lack of motivation may be due to depression, which was basically the same thing I had. It's normal to not want to do anything, but it's not good to succumb to that feeling.

Take my advice dude, DO SOMETHING!! ANYTHING! At first, I was like, "the hell with it. I got my whole life ahead of me and I just spent 17 years in school, I wanna enjoy myself and do what I want for a little bit." That little bit turned into well-over 2 years because eventually you lose motivation and it becomes a habit of just sitting around hanging out with friends and whatnot. At the very least, get yourself a job so you have some money in your pocket (if you don't already have one). While your doing that, just remember that even if the job sucks, it's not permanent. Think about what you wanna do, spend some time thinking about it really hard, then make it happen. But for your own sake, don't do nothing.

13. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    I feel the same way. Exactly. I'm a senior as well, but I'm just gonna apply to a local university with 'electrical engineering' as my major. I'm good at math and science so it should be easy. Personally I'm only intending college because it's what is expected of me. Of course I'll do my best though, my main drive is to live up to expectations. During college and after I'll probably be trying to get gigs with a band I'm more or less a part of...although it's not official yet. That could prove to be a good outlet at times, music drives me the most but I want something that will for sure pay well.

14. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Dang, I guess just hanging around for a while isn't what it's all cut out to be.

I have absolutely no idea as to what I'm going to do, yet. Plus, at the rate my marks are, I'm probably going to have to stay an extra semester just to have half decent grades :meh:

15. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    Ya, same here. Doing it because it's expected of me. I mean, what else am I to do?

I'd love to just play music with my band for the rest of my life, even dying on stage would be pretty awesome. (I'm strange :meh: ) But I need some cash. And playing music my not cut it, unfortunatly. Especially when you play completely non-mainstream stuff.

16. Starting my last semester of high school on Monday.

I've got three things in mind, but I am really just hoping I can join a good band before the end of the year or have my (boy)friend's band go on tour so I can come along (I'm the photographer. Go figure.) and do that for a while and gain more experience with my photography.

But the three things that I have come up with (Yeah, I had to come up with three things instead of narrowing down) are Theatre Arts in University, since I can't imagine never acting again after high school. My mom thinks it would be an ok idea to take Music Preformance (vocals) at University. And another thing I want to take is a two year college course for Photography. Actually, no matter what I end up doing I do want to go back and take that course.

What shocked me the most was my mom suggesting to me that I could join a few bands in University to see where they went.

I really want to do all three things though.
    Acting, singing and photography.

I think you should consider other spots in the music industry.
    I was considering being a sound engineer or talent scout.

17. Jiggybass

Jiggybass

Nov 15, 2005
    Sudbury, Canada
    True, I could do sound engineering, but I'd much rather be playing my bass, than anything else to make money.

I'm a strange one :meh:

18. I plan to do something with engineering, or atleast computers. I'm a computer nerd at heart. :D

19. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i wish i'd taken a year off after high school... taken a little time off from school in general and really figured out what i wanted to study, if anything. i may have never gone to university. who knows?

as it stands, i left after almost four years. it's almost like i couldn't take it anymore and had to leave. i may go back someday.... but as of now, i'm alive and well, i have a job that provides me enough dough to live off of, and am exploring the glories(!) of a career in bass playing.

all in all, i have no regrets, as of now. to quote The Matrix:

"what happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way... because we are still alive."

i'm glad i did what i did, in retrospect. i guess i occasionally wonder what it would've been like if i'd done it differently.

good luck! i hope you can glean some sort of meaning from the ramblings above. :bassist:

20. I'm not getting into sound engineering because I was told I needed Physics. And I don't want to come back to high school because I can't fit in physics into my schedual.

I plan on singing my way through life.

Good plan, maybe.

Best plan, OH YEAH!

;)