Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sennheiser 1000 vs. Shure ULXS14 wireless dilemma. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Washishimi, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    OK, so I ended up acquiring a used Sennheiser digital 1000 wireless unit last week, and it is amazing. My wife was upset when I got it.....not because I spent the money, but because she bought me a Shure ULXS14 for x-mas! So she gave it to me early so I could play around with both of them. I cannot find faults in either unit. They both sound great, get good battery life, and are constructed wonderfully. My issue now is which one do I keep? Although there was almost a $300 difference between the two, that is really not a factor for me. I just want to keep the better unit. And my wife honestly does not care if the Shure stays or goes. So I would appreciate any cons you guys and gals could offer on either unit to steer me to a winner. I've read the various threads, and the major con I have found is the lack of battery life people have reported with the Sennheiser, but I have not found this since I was able to achieve 4-5 hours on a single 9volt. HELP!

2. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
  3. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    I loved my 2 Sennheiser D1000's (both recently stolen). I have not tried the Shures but have heard good things about them. The Digital 1000 is a great unit, the only drawback it has IMO is that it only has 4 selectable frequencies.

4. The d1000. It is basically an Xwire lite. Xwire sold their stuff to Sennheiser and they made some changes (9v vs 4 AA batteries, 4 instead of 5 selectables channels, I think 2 instead of 4 antennas). But its still digital quality vs analog. I believe still no companders (signal compression/expansion) in the d1000. No comparison from a sound quality perspective.

You've seen all the posts about how Xwires are the holy grail of wireless units? D1000 is the offspring of the Xwire.

Incidentally, the the #2 xwire channel is the one that's missing, so you can mix xwire channel 2 with any d1000 channel. Xwire channels 3-4-5 correspond to d1000 channels 2-3-4.

Randy

5. Does that mean you can use a d1000 transmitter with an X-Wire receiver?

John

6. Be great if you could but do not think so. Different resolutions for starters (XWire = 20bit - Digital 1000 = 16bit).

I consider what Randy is saying is you can use both systems on the *same* stage for different sound sources providing you don't use the *same* channels.

Cheers
    BooF

7. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I am going to ask a stupid question here... Why don't you keep both units?

...always nice to have an extra!

I have the lower-grade Shure PGX-14. Yeah, it will eat up batteries... two double A's..., but if I pay attention during gigs and turn off the transmitter when not playing, I seem to have been getting 8 to 10 hours of use. I must admit I haven't explored the rechargable battery option, because my day job is a wholesale distribution business... and Eveready batteries happen to be one of the lines I distribute out here in Paradise... I get a pretty good deal on 9-V and double-A's... if you know what I mean :smug: