Sennheiser Digital 1000 Wireless

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by grooveguru, Nov 3, 2003.

1. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Anyone out there have any experience with these? They are based on the xWire technology which Sennheiser purchased from xWire when they went out of business. These are being discontinued by Sennheiser. I've heard both good and bad but decided to take the plunge since they are digital and do not use a compander circuit so no squashing of the signal and the frequency range is 20hz to 15k so it will handle my 5 string. Everything else with the same specs is mucho $$$$. These were $800.00 but are being sold off for $299.00. I would appriciate hearing any and all comments.
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've got one I picked up last spring (at the start of the closeout?) and I'm satisfied with it. It's the only wireless I've had. Tonally I don't hear any difference between it and a cable - but you can crank the gain up so the level is higher than the bass straight in.

It does seem to go through batteries pretty quickly. I've done a couple of gigs with it with no problems. When I was researching it I did see a couple of reports of units that went bad within a couple hours of use. So far so good on mine but it doesn't get a lot of use (for gigs only and we've been on hiatus since June).
  4. Goove, I went through two of the 1000's with no luck. Sent both of them back for a refund. When it worked it sounded fine but could never get more than two sets of playing time before the thing went haywire. The transmitter is built pretty solid but the reciever looks and feels like a toy. It can't be rack mounted unless you buy their rack mounting hardware. There must be a reason it's being discontinued. IMHO if it were all that good they would keep on makin' em' and sellin' em'. Hope you have better luck with it than I did.
  5. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    When I heard of the Sennheiser units being blown out, I recommended them to a couple of friends. On the plus side, they sound great. On the negative side, they chew up and spit out batteries every 2 hours. I have a Shure TD VHF unit, the batteries go for around 14 hours in most cases. I've been very happy with the Shure unit. I a/b ed it with a cord and if there was much difference, my geezer ears couldn't hear it. Of course, YMMV
  6. kulasterol

Jul 17, 2003
    Bought one and it was DOA; replacement crapped out in 3 months. Go figure.
  7. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Well the Sennheiser worked great for the one practice I used it at aside from the 2 hours I got from the battery. I got to thinking about it and decided to send it back. I ordered a Shure ULXP14 which was what I had my eye on to begin with. Same specs with alot of additional features and 4 times the battery life but at twice the cost. I'll post a review of it when I get it.