1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

sennheiser e614

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by tito mangialajo, Mar 23, 2006.

1. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    hello everybodys,
    has anyone tried the sennheiser e614 for ampliefying the double bass on stage? and where you place it? between the bridge legs with a piece of foam or on a mic-stand?
    I think the e614 is similar to neumann k 185 but cheaper. (yeah, I know the neumann 185, and 185, are super mic, but the price...)
    I am tempt to try the e614. any suggestion...?
    thanks everybodys, tito.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Have't tried that one, I use a Senn MD409U ( the updated version is a 609) and I like the sound very much. I wrap it in foam and put it between the bridge feet.

3. Ed, after you wrap it in foam, how do you attach it to the bass?

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You got a pitcher of the mic, ja? So you gotta square-ish mic face that sits on a cylinder about 3 inches long. I take a piece of foam and wrap it around the cylinder and put the foam wrapped mic in between the bridge feet. The square head of the mic (being larger than the cylinder) keeps the mic from slipping through the foam, which is "puffy" enough to enclose the cylinder and press oh so lightly against the interior arc of the bridge and the top of the bass. I'm sure there's some muting, but the whole schmeer is pretty light so I don't think it's that much.

If I can remember and you need a visual, i'll try to take some pitchers.

5. Thanks Ed, that's a good description. I can work from that.