Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sennheiser EV172 quit on me

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by slugworth, Jan 22, 2005.

1. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Bummer, my EV172 transmitter took a crap last night right before our first set. It was working fine the last time I used it about 2 weeks ago, I turned it off and put it away. I tried 3 NEW 9V batteries, the indicator LED shows that it's on, but the LCD display is dead and the unit won't transmit. Luckily, the unit is still under warranty, but this unit was not inexpensive, it should work...Anyone else have this problem with a Sennheiser wireless unit?

Cheers,
    Slug

2. you sure you volume knon was on?

3. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    The display on the transmitter briefly showed "888888" then nothing....It should boot up to the UHF frequency like 569.100
    or something and the options keys should function...Again, nothing...

4. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I would give this unit an Excellent rating for sound quality and a "F" for reliability. It only has about 15 hours total use, and I never abused it..I could understand if I had dropped it or spilled something on it, but that's not the case..Let's see what Sennheiser says...I HATE it when expensive gear fails!

Slug

5. Hey, post back with their response. I am looking into a wireless and was wondering how they treat their customers.

6. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I have had reliability problems with Sennheiser before. A different wireless model though . . . units just stopped working at random times in random places.

7. I hate to suggest such a crazy thing, but are you sure both the transmitter and reciever are on the exact same frequency?
    It's easy to change by mistake and since you're new to the unit maybe you're not used to it and how flexible it can be.
    IMHO Sennheiser is the best in it's price range.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

8. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    >> I talked with one of the Sennheiser reps today at NAMM,
    he said to generate a Return Authorization thru their website and send it in to his attention, and that he'd personally make sure it got taken care of since it's still under warranty. Cool.

Slug

9. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    got my unit back from Sennheiser last week. Repaired at no charge under warranty. The problem? A cold solder joint from the main board to the display...Weird..

Oh well.. It works fine now..

Slug

10. I finally ordered mine last week....looking forward to having to trip over cords all night!