Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sennheiser Freeport Wireless - mini review

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Justice, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    My rep at GC gave me a Sennheiser Freeport wireless to try out since i'm looking for replacements for my Sennheiser Digital 1000's that were stolen. I took it and used it on a small gig last night and liked it very much. It did not suck the low end from my bass and sounded very similar to my old Digital 1000's (with much less tweaking) The gig did not require a 5 string bass so I only used a 4 stringer last night.

Its specs are about the same as the Digital 1000, UHF, 4 switchable channels, Frequency response 80-16000hz.

Pros:
    1. Good sound
    2. XLR and 1/4" outputs on reciever
    3. reciever is in sturdy metal case
    4. Shelf price is $299, but unit can be had for $250 if you know where to look

Cons:
    1. Only 4 channels (my band has never needed more than 3 though)
    2. transmitter case is plastic with a plastic belt clip
    3. Freq response my not be low enough for 5 string bass
    4. no power switch (manual says disconnect power to turn off)
    5. no small screwdriver included to switch channels and adjust squelch/sensativity(my little nitpick)

Overall good performance for the price, i would have like to have seen a metal case with better belt clip for the transmitter but your not going to find one in the sub-$400 wireless range.

If you are in need of a wireless and don't have $400-$500 to spend, check out the Sennheiser Freeport.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

80 - 16,000 hz?

Man, that robs you of a lot of your lows.

3. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    ya know, no offense, but I think a lot of people over analyze the freq response stats.. I sure was not missing any lows friday night.

I'll get a better feel for it when I use it with my 5 string.