1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Senon Williams of Dengue Fever

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Goatman, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Goatman

Goatman

Aug 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've been getting really into this band Dengue Fever, and I thought I'd share my appreciation of Senon Williams' lovely pre-1957 P-bass tone... :D

http://www.amoeba.com/live-shows/videos/dengue-fever.html

Anyone have insight on that replacement neck? Looks like Gibson, but I'm not sure.

senon.

2. Goatman

Goatman

Aug 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    ::crickets::

3. Goatman

Goatman

Aug 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    nearly a year later, bump?

4. thombo

thombo

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i'm a fan! my fiance is cambodian, so she is all about Dengue Fever. Senon has great, old school tone, big on the minor blues box grooves.

i know it's weak on my part, but after listening to DF, the few cambodian bands in colorado sound terrible by comparison. contemporary cambodian singers are have super slick, yet low quality production (if you heard it, you'd know)... i've heard way too many cambodian karaoke tapes. I really enjoy DF's old school grit and groove. Good player, good band!

5. foq1978

foq1978

Aug 7, 2009
    Rio de Janeiro
    I just know them from the Broken Flowers soundtrack, but I think it sounds amazing!

6. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

According to the recent article on him in BP, that bass is a 1972 Ampeg "Big Stud", not a P-bass with a replacement neck. He also plays an old Gibson Grabber.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yep, that's the bass. I think I want one. I was front row for their show last night, and met him afterwards. He's a super cool guy. His live sound was thick old school mojo all the way. They were simply amazing on stage, and he had the best stage presence I've seen from a bass player -- apart from Flea in his prime, that is.