Sensable bass rig..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Jun 8, 2002.

1. okay at my church i play through a peavey amp/cab rig
    the cab is a 4x10 and i really like that tone but it is still lacking some low rumble...

what would be a good amp/cab combo (4x10 or otherwise) that would give nice low rumble for 5 stringers that still maintain a nice warm high tones????

thanks for your input
    (BTW try to keep it under $1500 or so)
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What you have asked for, is the Eden D-410XST. The XST differes from their XLT in that there is a flatter response, instead of a push in the low mids. They have terrific highs and very sweet, sweet lows.

Our good pal Gard plays them, and I think he's a bit more qualified than I to talk about the XSTs (I'm a XLT user).
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    whatever you do,

go for a pair of 1x12's. equal in volume to a 4x10 but with better low end push, and enough cut to keep you heard ontop. Aguilar's a great bargain for hifi and sensible money. but there are many other brands as well, so check 'em out.
  4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Or a single 2x12" , for better low end.
  5. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    A lack of "low end rumble" is not usually a complaint with Peavey amps/cabs - usually the opposite is the case, especially with older gear. Looking at your profile, your bass may be the limiting factor here. Getting your church to cough up $1500 for a rig it doesn't need may not improve your tone any. If you're planning on using your own money, spend it on a bass that gives you the tone you want instead. :)
  6. i think you guys misunderstood... this rig is not for church. its for me personally... the reason why i also asked about amp heads...

my bass has wonderful tone... least i think so..... sounds good recorded on my home computer and through my amps and such....

the church amp just doesnt have the UMPH in the low b range that i like to hear..... it sounds full but doesnt hit you in the chest like a sledge hammer.. (which i like) i may have to go early and do some eq'ing on the amp tomorrow ( i have it set flat for todays practice... sounded good minus slap style)

i just thought of something when i mentioned EQ... a G**tarist sets the EQ on the amp... he thinks hes a know it all but i dont think he is... i know more about bass than he does...

anyways.... please list FULL rigs (heads and cabs) so i can see about them... (wont replace the churches but i'll sure take em there and use em and cut the gutarists hands off if he tries to mess with MY eq...)

thanks for letting me interrorgate you about bass and such... and ramble...
  7. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    I don't think you mentioned whether weight or size were important issues. If you want a lot of low end in a single cab, you should try an 8x10, if you're willing to lug one around. The SWR Megoliath, Ampeg SVT 8x10 or EBS-810 might be what you're looking for, though Peavey and Carvin probably make much more affordable ones.

You could probably get an Ampeg SVT-3 pro and their "extra low end" 4x10 cab for around $1500. Alternatives include:
    SWR Goliath Sr. + bass 350 or SM-500
    Eden d210XST + WT 400
    EBS Fafner + any decent 4x10 or 2x12
    If you buy used, you could get a really nice rig for under $1500, maybe with two or more cabs. For additional low end, you cna stack a 15" or 18" cab under a 4x10. One of the best rigs I've heard was an SWR Goliath+Son of Bertha+ bass 750.
  8. hartke 4000 400 watts @ 4ohms and 220@8 ohms
    Hartke 410BXL 400 watts @8 Ohms

would i get maximum wattage with this rig or do i need to look for a head that is more powerful?
  9. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Well i'm not a huge fan of hartke.. but it certainly gets the job done. I would say get a 4x10 cab... my vote goes to.. the ampeg BXT-410HL cab :). I got one of those bad boys and I love it. as far as amps go. I'd get a power amp (carvin or maybe crown) and then get a preamp. I think that would work for you
  10. if u want it all in one cab, why not try an Ampeg 410 HLF, i was really impressed with the sound of it, sounded like a 410 and a 115 all in one!!!

of course thats a little limiting (only a 4 ohm cab) if u want it a little more portable, why not a 210 and a 115, thats what i use! or a 410 and a 212.

Any of these makes should be good for you
    Bag End
    Hartke (probably the VX series)
    Carvin (cheap)

Good Luck
  11. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If you must have the low B fundemental Ithink you only have a few choices.
    1) Acme Low B4
    2)Bagend ELF series
    3) Maybe Euphonic Audio
    4)An 18" speaker, try SWR

If you just want a rig that sounds awesome and has a decent B I'd try Aguilar, Eden, or SWR.
  12. Still a fan of G-K and Avatar. How about a used 800RB plus Avatar's B115 and B410? Under a grand, all told. There are 4 800RB's on eBay as of this writing.

13. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    If your going GK I'd get the 1001.
  14. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    i just thought of something when i mentioned EQ... a G**tarist sets the EQ on the amp... he thinks hes a know it all but i dont think he is... i know more about bass than he does...

Tell your g**tarist to keep his #^&@ing mits off of your EQ. Man that's totally not cool.
  15. i found out about avatar speakers
    would the 2x10@4ohms and the 115 @ 8 ohms work together? and what kind of power amp would i need??? im thinking about going the Preamp/Power amp option.........

any suggestions there?

4 ohms plus 8 ohms = 2.6 ohms correckt?

thanks again ya'll
  16. xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    No you can't mix ohms like that.
    You'll make some noise alright by doing that followed by many bad things. Get the 8 ohm 2x10 and the 8 ohm 15 and you get 4 ohms together. But those two together shipped will cost you about $500...right? If you have a $1000 left there was an SWR sm-900 on for $895 or you could get a great pre-amp and say a QSC plx-1202 for about $500 a piece. Lightweight, power, and your preamp of choice. You can land an SWR IOD for about $400-$450, or an alembic FX-1 for under $400. You might be able to find a used Aguilar pre for under $500 too. Shop around, but going for the Avatar opens up alot of options in the area of heads. Or you might even go with the 4x10 instead of the 2x10 for $50 more.
  17. i thought you could mix and match cabs like that....

so i could get the 8 ohm 2x10 and the 8 ohm 1x15 to = 4 ohms... then i would need a cab that ran at 2 ohms correct???
    it would have to push nearly 1000 watts at that ohmage (its not a word but i just made it. it sounds kool)
  18. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Doesn't that mean, like, a tribute?
    "This is an ohmage to the greatest song ever written..."
  19. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Correct, but most amps are only stable down to 4 ohms. Running a 2.6 ohm load will fry an amp that isn't designed to run at 2 ohms. Even a number of amps that claim to work with 2 ohm loads won't run continously.

- Frank.
  20. so with a 4ohm speaker load i would have to have an amp that ran at 2ohms or 4? im confuseled!?!?!?!