sensitive fingers

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nataku, Mar 20, 2005.

1. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    hello, im a nub to the string forum so bear with me.
    i find that after practicing for 4+ hours with my band the tips of my fingers on both hands are really starting to burn. i can play through it but i dont know if this is bad for my fingers. ive built up callus (sp?) after 3 years of playing and just normal playing doesnt bother me anymore but after 10+ hours of playing straight i can really feel the burn. usually a couple days after the tips of my fingers start to peel and i have to rebuild the calluses again. i play mainly finger style on a rockbass corvette 4 string with stock strings (i love the feel of old strings) and a johnson p 4 string with stock strings. im open to changing strings but i pretty much hate flatwounds. are there any roundwounds or other types of strings that are easier on the fingers so i dont have to worry about this as much?
  2. Mate, this is not that unusual. "fingerburn" is normal when you are playing so much.

i have been playing for 20+ years, and have some fierce callouses, however this last weekend, we played four shows, for a total of 15 hours playing out of 48. My fingers are crying out. :crying:

I was speaking to my brother, who is a rock-climber, and they experience some of the same issues that bassists do. in regard to needing heavily calloused fingertips to achieve their goals.

He told me that rock-climbers bath their fingertips in methylated spirits (no-smoking, please) and it toughens up the skin on the fingertips.

Haven't tried it, but wonder if anyone else has any other ideas?
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been known put a coat of superglue on my fingertips before long shows for an extra layer of wear. Sounds like fingers when playing, the only problem is it gives a hint of a different feel, but its no longer noticeable after a few minutes.
  4. basste

Oct 8, 2003
    what is your strings gauge ? Perhaps you can low your gauge.
    I have made that, to fight with same problem than you, and i have won a real comfort in playing :bassist:
  5. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    They make this stuff called New Skin. Comes in a small bottle with a paint brush lid sort of like nail polish. You can usually find it at a pharmacy. It is intended for coating blisters. It is sort like the super glue idea. I keep a bottle in my bag when I know I am going to be playing a lot. If the fingers start to hurt I paint them up.