1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sensitivity Question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan1099, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    So, I was doing some potential cab shopping today, and I was comparing the sensitivity of my current setup (Ampeg 610HLF 98dB) and Aguilar DB112s (95dB a piece).

Now, if I'm not mistaken, two DB112s make for 98dB.

That means the sensitivity of these 2 12"s is as much as that of my 6x10? I have trouble believing that, but man, would that be nice or what!?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's not hard to believe- speaker sensitivity is all over the map with lots of different designs, and has not so much to do with the number of cones.

3. Yeah you never want to take an overall rating on sensitivity anyway as far as I know. Speakers will be voiced differently so different frequencies will be emphasised and others seem cut.

Best example I can think of are those horrible Peavey Nitro cabs, very nice low end and quite loud for how much power you put through them if I remember correctly from the last time I had to use one, but no matter how you EQ them they always sound really scooped to me.

4. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Also, take all published specs for cab sensitivity with a huge grain of salt. More like a 50 pound bag of salt. Almost no one actually publishes the measured response curves to back up the numbers, Bill Fitzmaurice and Phil Jones being notable exceptions. For most manufacturers, unfortunately, I think the marketing department has too much input into this. At least, that's my suspicion ... not that I have any evidence whatsoever.

Cheers

5. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    That's absolutely true. However, I remember at one point, some skepticism at Aguilar's published sensitivity ratings. When the flaw in his rating was brought to his attention, Dave immediately corrected all of his sensitivity specs downwards. Also, his look far more realistic than most of those on the market....95dB for a 12", instead of 103dB published by "some companies."

6. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    The only true way to gauge a rig's loudness.... set it up right next to another rig.

When I found my Eden cabs, I took them to practice and set them next to the Carvin R1000 and 410/118 cabs. The 210/212 Edens seemed just as loud with less cone surface, but the tone cut through the band with much more definition and clarity. That sold me. Smaller rig, less cones, just as loud and better tone.

But the Ampeg 610 cab is a great cab and easily Ampeg's best product. If you're looking to upgrade that cab, take it with you and do side-by-side comparisons. The only way to prove you're actually finding better products.

7. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I know that, for sure. I do dig the cab, and I'm not sure if I'll move it or keep it, but it's just too big for some of the stuff I do.

8. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I won't say I miss my 610. But it had a great sound no matter what amp you drove it with. But it was still the Ampeg tone, and I needed to move from that.

As a sidenote... the SVT410HLF gets just as deep and loud, and you'd never notice the missing two drivers. If you ever find one, do an even trade and get a more maneuverable, lighter cab.

9. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    IMO, the 410 is a little flabbier. I don't dig that.