Sensitivity rating

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Masher88, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Anybody know who makes the most sensitive (SPL) rated bass enclosure? I see that Schoeder has 103dB on theirs. Not bad! Anybody know who tops that?
  2. Bassoon 8x10 has 105db and I am pretty sure the Goliath III has 105 as well.
  3. Ask where the sensitivity rating is taken. If taken at 1,000 Hz (typical) it is pretty much useless for bass players. This is fodder for the "mine is bigger than yours" marketing technique.

Ask for a response plot from 40 Hz and up. Then watch 'em back pedal. To my knowledge, only Phil Jones publishes actual measurements of his cabs.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...I've had cabs that were "louder" than others even though they weren't "supposed" to be according to graphs/advertising & heresay. Also, a GREAT factor is your playing range & it's been said..."Let YOUR ears be THE judge"...

PS: Don't take things/figures to heart, there's a lot of "elbow grease" to be had during these sort of things...
  5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    A sensitivity rating given at a single frequency is not representative of the performance of a speaker. There are peaks and dips of as much as 5 dB or more in the upper registers on most bass drivers. Don't trust anything but an actual curve, especially if the driver has a whizzer cone. You can look at curves for different drivers at the US Speaker website, to see how much variation there is. The published curves are reasonably representative of what to expect from drivers of different sizes in commercial cabs.

Methods for increasing sensitivity include bigger drivers, more drivers, horns, and giving up low end response. You have to choose your poison. My suggestion is: First, decide what type of cab sounds good for your playing (driver size, sealed or ported), then decide how many drivers you need to achieve the desired sensitivity. Sometimes it is cheaper and more portable to get more volume with a more powerful amplifier.