sensitivity ratings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mikeels, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Mikeels

Apr 20, 2000
    I know this has been discussed here somewhere, but can't find it. If two 410 cabs are rated at 96db @ 1 watt, does that mean they will be fairly egual in spl when driven with the same wattage?
  2. Yes :D

You can download my Musician's Reference spread sheet from my site at

Use the DB tab, and you can plug in various sensitivity ratings, and you can see what kind of SPL you can generate with various wattages and at various distances.

If both cabs are the same impedance, i.e. 8 ohms, both are going to produce the same SPL. If you have the cabs split on opposite sides of the stage, you will get +3dB more loudness using two cabs. If you stack the cabs either horizontally or vertically, you will get another +3dB, or +6dB total, from the mutual coupling effect that occurs with the drivers being within 1/4 wavelength of each other.

Mr. Bgavin, what are you doing to me? An excel spreadsheet? I see these all day long.(heartbeat is beginning to slow down)

I'm O.K. now.

But please, don't say "amortization."

Nice web page.
    Mike J.
  4. I've never seen anybody have an orgasm over a spread sheet before. Wow. Film at 11...

Glad you like the page. It is a work constantly in progress.
  5. Mikeels

Apr 20, 2000
    Thanks bgavin! Wow tons of info. I see now why I'm having trouble with the Acme b-2 and volume. The Pro 410 hlf cab lost 3d/b at 33hz the Acme loses a lot more if I'm interpreting the data correctly. All things given, the Ampeg cab is much more efficient at the lower spectrum than even the Acme b-4. Great sheet......wish I'd seen it sooner.
    Now Iv'e got to find a deal on another pro 410 hlf cab......thanks again